Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Blocking Mag Well

spec4 e4

Didn't some Turks ( Model 83 I think ) originally have a shorter length mag box. They got re-chambered to 8x57. New trigger guards and mag were installed at that time. If I remember correctly they were still standard length action, just different bottom metal. One from that model might work. If not save the Turk for a later build and find a Yugo action to build the 243 on.

I have a Turk Mauser that is going to be 243 Win and the magis to long. So what to block it with and I was thinking of using thd follower but cut down a little with a M1A 5rd spring. Whaf do you think?

Thanks

Rob

Many standard lenght mausers feed and function just fine with 243/308 lenght cartridges. It also gives the option of seating bullets longer to get closer to the lands and increase accuracy.

IMO, go ahead and do everything else and give it a test drive. If it hangs up feeding, then consider blocking the mag. If it isn't broken there's no need to fix it. ;)

JM2c

Ken, thanks. I will try it before ordering one. I got the reamer on the way. I have already bed the action, put the safety and trigger on and I have true up the action. Just need to chamber the barrel and have it finish. Not much work to be done to get her going. I have 100 rds of 100 gr. Sp. We see how she does.

Thanks all

Rob

I have to agree with Don. I have done a .308 on a VZ with no modification. It fed just fine. I also did a .243 using a .308 isreali converted guard assy. It had a 3/16" spacer, spot welded and notched to the front of the mag well. They both fed just great. I probabily wouldn't use the spacer if I did another. Then again, it didn't hurt anything either. B)

• 2 weeks later...