Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Stripped Actions

Everything has value. [a]Check prices on all the parts required to turn a stripped reciever into a complete action. {bolt body, bolt parts, ejector box complete, bottom metal,mag spring and follower, etc} Then prices of comparable complete actions. Subtract [a] from if there is a difference and use that as a guideline for stripped reciever value.

Other wise you can think you're getting a heck of a deal on a stripped reciever. And end up with more than it's worth upon completion.

JM2c

Kevin what does the gunsmith want for the receivers?

Theres always a chance you could buy the parts you need once things calm down.

P.S> most mauser guys have buckets full of mauser parts with no home. A little time may find everything you need if you can get the receivers at a good price.

My suggestion is to look at every receiver in the bucket and offer a lump sum for the whole bucket equal to around $25 each and then if he bites i say go for it

Well as someone who bought a small pile of receivers, it's nice to go to a gun show and find something that had been badly buba-ed and talk the seller down and walk out with it for a song knowing that you have a pristine receiver at home. Also if you buy something from an on line auction and you find that it has lug set-back or something, having a stash of good receivers turns that situation from &(&(&)&%%)_$#@!#$ *)&()%&$%*)) &&^%))($#()!!! to oh well no big deal.

Just my $.02

Tinker

• 2 weeks later...

If you have excess capital at the moment and you're seriously interested in doing some Mausersmithing, I might offer the notion that "its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". Receivers are the ATF registered part and one of the most complex pieces of the Mauser rifle. If you had a bucket of them, you could always anneal them, have them surface ground to clean them up, and get them recarburized to return their original hardness. Then you oil them lightly and put them in the back of the safe for another day.

They aren't making these any more and quality receivers are getting scarce. You might actually have some gems in the pile once you pick through them all. Bolts would be the other critical, expensive to source part so be on the lookout for those.

Go back there and see what he has. If they're all M98 receivers and aren't rusted up/hole-drilled to oblivion, maybe you could make a deal on them. If you do, see if he also has a big box of spare parts laying around too. You never know what you'll get.

Too bad we can't get complete rifles for $70.00 anymore. I hate the idea of having to scrounge each part, screw, spring, etc to make a complete action.

That's exactly how I built my last couple sporters.

I'm saving my complete milsurps for my retirement.