Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Sailormilan2

Finally Got It On

I stumbled across a stock I had gotten last year with the intentions of upgrading the wood on my Zastava made Mini Mauser in 22 Hornet. While the Factory stock had some interesting grain, it was very bland in color. Plus, I didn't like the way it rolled over at the rear of the cheek piece.

The stock I got is from Richards MicroFit and was a blem. Big pitch/sap/bark area on the bottom of the butt, and one spot on the cheek piece. I got them filled and while not a close match, they look okay.

So far, there is only one coat of TruOil rubbed on. I did try something a bit different this time. I left the sanding dust on, and rubbed it in with the TruOil to work as a grain filler. I need a few more coats, but want to wait thill the recoil pad is installed. I generally don't care for shiney stocks, so once I get a few coats built up, I will steel wool off the shiney and leave an oil style finish.

Hardest part was bedding the stock. Mini Mauser uses a different system than a standard Mauser, and that gave me problems. It is pillar bedded, and and a very wide, though not deep recoil lug. Plus the front screw hole got partially filled withg epoxy so the screw couldn't tighten down. I may have to do a bit of touch up on the rear, but I think it is good for now. I still have to mount a recoil pad, but it is still on the way from Midway.

Before pics:

000_2582.jpg

000_2569.jpg

New stock:

20130806_084110_zpse7f820db.jpg

20130806_084245_zps6936b259.jpg

20130806_084255_zps94538c39.jpg

20130806_084313_zps2240d333.jpg

Good looking wood! What did you use for filler?

Clemson

Good looking wood!

Clemson

That is definitely an understatement!! You're going to have bragging rights for many years its simply beautiful.

Looks good!

I surprised to see a 22 hornet with flush bottom metal. Most I've seen have bottom metal that reminds me of a Mosin Nagant.

Looks good!

I surprised to see a 22 hornet with flush bottom metal. Most I've seen have bottom metal that reminds me of a Mosin Nagant.

I don't have the magazine in place in the photo. But, normaly with it installed, it kind of looks like a Mosin. Currently finishing in TruOil using a new method that I read about on another forum. I only finish sanded with 400 grit. Now, I am spraying ArmorAll on, then while wet, rubbing in TruOil in circular motions. Supposedly, the ArmorAll "plasiticizes" the TruOil and makes it dry/harden quicker. I've started with 2 coats of TruOil applied in a normal fashion, then steel wooled that to smoothen it. I have so far done one of the ArmorAll/TruOil coats and it dried in about 1 hour. Of course it helps to live where it is essentially an open air furnace or bake oven outside. I steel wooled that and am doing one more combination coat, to cover a repair I had to do. Stock is very smooth and is retaining it shininess.

Photos of finished rifle. Stock has 2 coats of TrueOil and 2 coats of TruOil/ArmorAll. Steel wool smoothed and burnished and one coat of wax.

20130808_171146_zps0c3a99b2.jpg

20130808_171130_zps134f8f80.jpg

20130808_171220_zps34659cca.jpg