Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Are Your Most Accurate Guns?

FC

My most accurate guns:

Rifles: Henry lever .22 with Leupold scope; cheap Chipmunk .22 bolt action rifle; .17 HMR Marlin bolt action with Swarovski scope; Taurus .44-40 lever action; Swiss rifle.

Pistols: Uberti 1859 Remington New Army .44 (black power or conversion cylinder).

Inaccurate:

Mosin-Nagant, and 1950s Stevens .22.

Those are nice guns Tony.

My most accurate- 7mm STW with a Nikon scope, 8mm-06 with a weaver scope, 375 JDJ with a swift 2x scope, and 338-06.

Inaccurate- 7mm remington magnum ( barrel is toast ) and my dad's old 25-06. He shot that gun like it was an extension of his body. I can't shoot that thing worth a darn.

Brenden

A-Bolt 30-06 with Tasco World Class 3x9, Remington 700 in 25-06 topped with Tasco World Class 3x9, Turk 280 rem topped with Redfield 4x12. As far as pistols all are more accurate than I am.

I like Karl used to hit golf ball size targets. Not anymore unless I'm firmly rested in something like a lead sled with the scope cranked way up. When I want to test the accuracy of one of my rifles I let my 22 year old nephew or somebody with younger and keen eyesight shoot it.

I shot a 223 Contender about 20 years ago. Best I recall the barrel was about 6-8 inches long. I did pretty good with it shooting through irons. I remember it well because I forgot ear plugs on the first shot and shooting it near dusk the flame thrower type muzzle flash. I had shot it previously with a fairly mild 221 Fireball barrel and was a bit surprised with the 223. I shot the same gun at a later date with a 35 Remington barrel and had no desire to shoot it again. My right hand was sore for about a week. The web between my thumb and index finger was bruised. I just can't imagine anybody shooting a Contender with a 45/70 or 444 Marlin barrel.

Back on track. My most accurate rifle is a 35 Whelen. I built it on a BRNO action with a CYRO frozen, McGowen premium barrel. I was a bit younger, healthier and had considerably more spare change when I built it. With an older Weaver 6X scope it is capable of one hole groups at 100 yds and one inch or less at 200. Next is my 1903 Springfield. I used it back in 1990 to qualify for a DCM M-1 Garrand. From a laying position I scored 9 out of 10 bullseyes at 200 yards.

" I shot the same gun at a later date with a 35 Remington barrel and had no desire to shoot it again. My right hand was sore for about a week. The web between my thumb and index finger was bruised. I just can't imagine anybody shooting a Contender with a 45/70 or 444 Marlin barrel.

Back on track. My most accurate rifle is a 35 Whelen. I built it on a BRNO action with a CYRO frozen, McGowen premium barrel. I was a bit younger, healthier and had considerably more spare change when I built it. With an older Weaver 6X scope it is capable of one hole groups at 100 yds and one inch or less at 200. Next is my 1903 Springfield. I used it back in 1990 to qualify for a DCM M-1 Garrand. From a laying position I scored 9 out of 10 bullseyes at 200 yards."

AZ,

A good friend of mine has an Encore in 45-70. He is quite larger than I and can only handle 6 shots through it before he needs a break. I'm a pistol recoil junkie and I touched it off 3 times screaming profanities each shot. I have never experienced that much pain in my life from shooting a pistol. I had no use of my hands for over two hours. Very accurate, just abusive.

My savage striker build is going to be a .338 win mag, without the muzzle break. It should be manageable throwing 160 grain barnes bullets. We will see.

Now back on track,that just reminded me of a story.

Brenden

AZ,

A good friend of mine has an Encore in 45-70. He is quite larger than I and can only handle 6 shots through it before he needs a break. I'm a pistol recoil junkie and I touched it off 3 times screaming profanities each shot. I have never experienced that much pain in my life from shooting a pistol. I had no use of my hands for over two hours. Very accurate, just abusive.

Brenden

I have a 45-70 contender. It's 12" including the muzzle brake, so about 10" of actual barrel. The worst part of the recoil for me is the trigger guard striking my fingers. You really have to hold it firmly with two hands.

I have a 45-70 contender. It's 12" including the muzzle brake, so about 10" of actual barrel. The worst part of the recoil for me is the trigger guard striking my fingers. You really have to hold it firmly with two hands.

Amen to that. I've wore a lot of bandages from shooting the 375 JDJ and 7mm-08. I've also come to the conclusion that the T/C is the worst made platform for a pistol.

My friend fires Hornady Leaver-evoulation 325's through the old 70'. You learn to respect the old girl quickly.

Brenden

I've shot a lot of 223 through my Super 14 Contender. I have a Pachmayr grip and the huge scope which really helps on the recoil. With a regular wooden grip and no scope, the 223 is a bit much. You shoot 20 rounds like that and you'll really know it. I wear ear plugs and muffs and my ears will still ring after shooting that. Huge fireball. At the range, people set up next to you during the cease fire. The line goes hot and you start shooting. After about the 2nd round, they pack up and move to the other end of the range. Then you go look at the targets at 100 yards. The deer hunter next to you will have like 8-10" groups. 5" if they are "good." The 223 Contender handgun is about an inch.

Almost all of my Bolt actions will do MOA or better if I do my part. The Semi..M 1 Carbine will stay in the black at 100 meters but the groups are 2 to 4 inches.

Pistols at 50 yards..I hit the paper. but I must say with my 45 I am getting better.

karl

If he is getting 5 to 10 inch groups at 100 meters with a scoped rifle,assuming that there is nothing wrong with scope or rifle, my money is on the deer. : )