Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Running out of time for AIM sale

FC

Hi FC --

Well, I'm far from an expert around LEs, but I have a No. 4, MkI that I enjoy very much, I got it from Springfield Sporters a few years ago, it was about $90.00...not unlike the AIM offerings.

When I opened the box upon receipt, I was pretty horrified as the rifle was as covered with Cosmoline as any I'd seen, and the Suncorite, or whatever that paint on the metal of the rifle was had seen FAR better days! There was even a fingerprint in the Suncorite/paint near the magazine!

However, the classic rule applies in that "you can't judge a book by it's cover"...the bore of this rifle was, and still is excellent and it's qualities as a shooter are beyond reproach. As with many/most LEs, the sights leave a little to be desired, but otherwise, I have zero complaints about these rifles. From what AIM describes in that there is some finish wear but otherwise these are solid rifles, I don't think you could go entirely wrong if what you need is a solid shooter!

I personally believe that with most LEs, the quality is part of the package.

I stripped it off and cold-blued the gun. Really, really bad for collector value, but then again, no one would have wanted this rifle except me...and it just needed to be prettier!

I am happy with the way that the No. 4, MkI came out and if I got another LE that was as bad off as mine was, I would do the exact same thing...I think they're worth the effort to end up with a shooter...even if it's a "project" to get there.

The beauty of LEs is that one doesn't really need to work hard to get the action slicked up...it's generally already slick, so there's no real need for improvement in that regard. If a headspace problem seems to be evident, change the bolt head...that's EASY! Though, I don't have any problems with headspace in either of my LE guns.

Sorry I know very little about the Brit Enfields. Just throwing in my two cents, if you opt for the No4 Mark 1 the additional five bucks for the adjustable sight is a bargain. My experience with the two Brits I've had, shooting surplus ammo is similiar to Mausers. The impact point changes from one lot of ammo to another. Different countries like those that used Mausers have chosen various bullet weights and with the micro-sights you can compensate for it.