Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Fitting.

ghost95

Hello guys, I am in search of advice.

I am working on a Swedish mauser. The shank on the barrel I'm installing is too long. When screwed all the way in it locks up the bolt.

I measured the shank and the distance from the receiver face to the highest point on the bolt. Allowing for .002 or .003 crush fit and .002 for bolt clearance I need to reove .020 from the barrel face.

My question is, is there a way to take this off evenly without a lathe? Before I just start attacking the barrel with a file I was hoping to get some more ideas.

Thanks for your ideas. c-

My question is, is there a way to take this off evenly without a lathe? Before I just start attacking the barrel with a file I was hoping to get some more ideas.

In a perfect world the shank should measure as Ken stated .645". But in the real world of rifles that are over 100 yrs old and no telling who has done what to them without carefull inspection.

I would first ascertain "WHY" shank is .020" to long for the reciever. If it properly measures .645" + or - a bit. Shank may be too long or reciever may be too short. It is common to make clean up cuts with a lathe and mandril to "square" reciever face to bore. But usually this only entails a few thou. to clean up.

Since it is a Swede small ring it does not have an inner bearing "C-ring" for the breech to butt against. So IMO, yes shortening could be done with diligent/carefull file work.

If it was a 98, answer would be unqualified "NO WAY" because of unequal induced stress on breech and reciever.

Do you have headspace gages? Have you measured existing case protrusion on barrel? Have you done your homework? Have you done the math? Have you measured the reciecer from shoulder to bolt face? Have you taken into consideration that rechambering will be required to make the proper headspace?

Lot of things to take into consideration before you pick up a file or chuck it into a lathe.

JM2c

I'm at work an don't have any of my books handy but I'm pretty sure there should be a little over a tenth of an inch from the bolt face to breech end of your barrel.

Thanks guys. First off the barrel is a take off from an older project that I stared a while back. It was attached to the spanish receiver from another posr. It had to be trimmed to fit that receiver. Alos, the swedish receiver I'm using now has been cleaned up.

I guess I'll research the specs a little bit and then figure out what I need to take off but I guess it will have to go to a machine shop.

Thanks again. C-

According to Kuhnhausen, when working with m-96's you should measure from the front of the top lug to the front of the receiver, then minus .005 to get your barrel shank length.

That way after crush fit you should have .003 clearance

Ouch, it is always painfull to lose a family member. Sad for your loss. Condolances.

Well poop, C&P'd the wrong post. Shoulda been this one. :(

Thanks for the replys. Wehad to put our dog down last night so it may be a bit before i get back on this.

Ok all, I just re-measured the receiver. From the face to the highest point on the bolt lug is .618". Current barrel shank is .634"

, so... .618" - .005" for clearance = .613 overall.

and...

The barrel shank is .634" - 613" = .021" to trim.

Sound right?

The chamber will be recut with a finish reamer.

Thanks, C-

If the receiver is trued on a mandrel, and the barrel shank was cut between centers, you should not get more than .0005 to .001 crush. Planning on having .002 or .003 is probably fair if you are using "as found" parts but it could get you into .002 to .003 of trouble. It could also tell you that you have a thread fit interference somewhere.

Also, did you measure receiver face to highest point on the bolt with the extractor installed? If you are measuring to highest point on the lug you are probably ok on a Swede but I would not shortcut that step.

I'm just sharing mistakes I have made in the past.

Ok all, I just re-measured the receiver. From the face to the highest point on the bolt lug is .618". Current barrel shank is .634"

, so... .618" - .005" for clearance = .613 overall.

and...

The barrel shank is .634" - 613" = .021" to trim.

Sound right?

The chamber will be recut with a finish reamer.

Thanks, C-

Just be very careful when you deepen the chamber.

.021 is not much and you don't want to have to re-qualify again! :(

Thanks guys. Yes I measured both the extractor and the lug, the lug was closest.

I also believe the chamber issue shouldn't be a big deal, just going to go slow. Piecing various parts from different rifles together is interesting to say the least. At least I'm learning alot. Thanks again.