Military Firearm Restoration Corner

35 Whelen Ai

Brenden

I have acquired a 24" 35 whelen barrel and it now resides on a spare action. It is still short chambered, and needs finished.

For those that have the 35 AI, is there much improvement over the standard? Is it worth the extra effort and work? I'm always looking for something different, and haven't added any Ackley Improved cartridges to the stable yet. From what I see the Whelen is a good performer, improved or not.

I've also been working on a 7x57 on a small ring. It should make a nice short range plinker once finished. I bought several hundred 162 grain interbond "blemished" bullets to load for it. I just drilled and tapped it for a reciver sight last weekend, so it's coming along nicely.

Thanks,

Brenden

Midway had the 7mm bullets on sale probably four months ago or more. They were around $17 a hundred if my memory is correct.

As far as "blemishes", I can't really see them. I haven't sat down and measured each bullet either. For less than 100 yard shooting, I feel they will be ok. Open sights and my eyes don't agree much past 100 yards. I can remember a few years ago shooting deer routinely with a muzzleloader with open sights at double that range. Funny how things change.

I used a 21" green mountain barrel for the 7x57. It was originally going to be a cast bullet weapon until I stumbled onto the blemished bullets. It's on a Brazilian sr action. I'm working on the stock now. Still need to chamber and weld a new

The 35 is a green mountain barrel as well. They may not be the best barrel in the world, but have always shot well for me.

Thanks,

Brenden

I put an A&B barrel on mine. It was the only 7mm SR barrel I could find. I need to start a thread on that one.

That was a super price on the blems. Let me know if you run across that again. I've got 2 molds for cast, a Lee and a Lyman. The Lee is a replacement for the mold I had to send back. The locator pins worked out of that one. Tech support said to stake them, so I did that and they completely fell out. So I sent it back and have a new one. The Lyman is a lot better quality, of course, at like 4x the price. I am hoping to have this thing shoot cast with a gas check. We'll see.