Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Sailormilan2

Does It Look Better?

Stock is bedded, fitted, with two coats of TruOil. Once deer season is done, I will strip the wax off and spray another coat on, and more than likely a coat of Poly.

post-13-0-78569200-1410564814_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-92077200-1410564824_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-70705600-1410564834_thumb.jpg

"Nice Job" yes it is but an understatement, looks sharp.

Just something to consider and maybe do some net searching to see if the two different finishes are compatible. I worked briefly in a paint store years ago. The laterst tech in finishes and paint at the time were acrylics. Customers that spray painted clear gloss lacquer over an acrylic finish found the lacquer peeling away or cracking. I assume poly will adhere to TruOil but it might be worth looking into.

I've been looking at the stock, and I think I may have made a mistake. I had sanded to 600 grit, using wet/dry paper with no problems. However, I went beyond that using some 1000 grit wet/dry and the stock now has a greyish cast to it. During sanding grit was coming off the paper and I think some of the grit embedded itself in the stock. So, I may have to get some paint stripper on Sunday, strip the finish off and resand. The stock is definatly grayer than it was this morning. Grrrrrrr.

Az, I have oil based Poly. Wipe on Poly, and I will thin that, since I am using a modeling airbrush. A Binks Wren B.

Looks very good.

My tastes are for thinner butt pads on hunting rifles but, it's a very nice looking rifle.

New pics. I stripped the stock, and started over. I got black grit from the sandpaper in the stock,so had to strip it, resand, and do over.

20140915_122334_zpse7243988.jpg

20140915_122405_zpscc1e970d.jpg

Looks great. I have a good appreciation for a thick recoil pad, myself. Sure, one shot won't tear you up too much, but take it to the range and practice and suddenly it's an issue. For me anyway. That 7mmx57 I've been playing with did a number on my shoulder after about 30 rounds. It just has a hard butt plate. I made what I call a "shoulder pal" out of some leather with about 4 layers of wash cloth sandwiched inbetween and a clip for sticking on your shirt. That should distribute the recoil a bit. Haven't tried it yet, as I'm still recovering from a dumb f' that totaled out my Lotus with me in it a few weeks ago.

Doc I can almost see a war like confrontation with the insurance co. Hopefully you can find similar models for sale to use as leverage when offered the Blue Book value.

You see it correctly, Az. They are trying to lowball me. Blue Book is rather hard to come by for these, as it isn't in most of them and prices have been appreciating for the past year or so, so the books are not accurate. I sent them 4 or 5 comparable cars showing 5-10K more than they are offering me. I am not having fun. I do have the 9 staples out of my head, so that's a start.

If it is a property loss on your insurance it is going to be an uphill battle. If you can go after the driver's liability insurance especially with staples in your head. They will likely be a bit more generous. I was an agent with Farmer's Insurance in 70 and 71. There have so many changes in the law since especially in no-fault states. I can't really speak with any expertise.

Might help to demand reimbursement for loss time, wages, travel expenses, house sitters locating a comparable vehicle out of state. I doubt there are more than a handful of Lotus in your state. Chances are good, state law gives the insurance company the option to replace or pay fair cash value of the property. State law might allow the ins co to skirt around incidental expenses like travel expenses. You might be able to get advise and assistance from your state insurance dept.

Sorry for the threadjack, sailorman2. Your stock is beautiful.

Yes, I've filed with his insurance. I've been pretty easy on them so far. Free medical care from colleagues post ER visit, didn't take the rental car, etc. And they are jacking me around on the car value. We're about five large apart at the moment. I can wait.

Sailorman, I share your frustration having to do one over myself. I had one down to the final coat, set it in the sun at apx 105+ degrees. I checked on it 15 or so minutes later to discover it had been attacked by a swarm of gnats. I had no choice but sand, strip and start over.