Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Annual Physical

Sailormilan2

Well, I just got back from my annual physical. Everything is normal, though with the help of a little white pill I take every morning to control my BP. Cholesterol is 168, so it's good.
Since I'm 65, they want me to get a Pneumonia vaccination. I am adverse to vaccinations, so I told them I want to think about it.
Unfortunately, for some reason my Vitamin D is very low. Unusual since I go for walks almost daily that last about an hour. So, I get to be on Vit. D supplements. Now to try to figure out why I am low on Vit.D with all the sunlight I get.

The P.A. renewed my BP prescription, supposedly for 3 months since the new Ins Co will do 3 months at a time. But, when I get home, I find that she doubled my daily dose from 1 pill a day to 2. Prescription strength is still the same, so I have no idea what's behind that. I'm just going to keep doing one a day, and if there is some thing wrong when I go in for a recheck in 3 months we'll deal with it then.

I'm happy.

The PA probably screwed up the prescription. Call and ask. Or your pharmacist. I swear, 30% of the prescriptions I get at Wally World have something wrong with them. Wrong number of refills, usually. Even the completely wrong drug once. Who knows what is happening to people that just go there and take what they are given.

I dunno, there, OD. I don't think a vaccination is going to suppress your immune system. The vaccine may not actually work for what it is supposed to, but I don't think it will suppress. Now, for the pneumonia vaccine, lots of things can give you pneumonia, and if the vaccine works, that's one less thing you have to fight off.

I am not anti-vaccine. I also think that the drug companies have purchased their way (through politics) into the mandatory vaccinations game to the point that the children are at risk from too many. Like the Hep B vaccines, for example. Is there a problem with children in school giving each other Hep B? I don't think so. But MMR, yeah, that one is important. Although the measles and mumps aspects are not that important, the Rubella is VERY important.

The PA probably screwed up the prescription. Call and ask. Or your pharmacist. I swear, 30% of the prescriptions I get at Wally World have something wrong with them. Wrong number of refills, usually. Even the completely wrong drug once. Who knows what is happening to people that just go there and take what they are given.

I only got one Rx for my elderly aunt at Wally's. It was written for one or two 1mg Valium, got 10mg tablets. Paramedics discovered the error. I thought my aunt that was 91 at the time was having a stroke after taking two tabs.

I'm pro vaccinations. Growing up in the 50's, knowing two polio victims and visiting one in an iron lung that died a few days later. I insisted mine and step-kids get all recommended vaccinations. I'm hearing about some of the dreaded diseases returning due to the large number of immigrants in Arizona. Both legal and illegal.

Typical. Most of them don't know better. They get their training from the drug rep.

I've known two drug reps. One was a brilliant guy, he was forced to drop out of medical school for financial reasons after his father died. The other had the morals of a gravel lot used car salesman or a carnie.

The low-life sold drugs to what he called dispensing physicians in the late 60's and early 70's. Truth was he was selling speed in the form of diet pills and injections.

Yeah, Polio is an excellent example of a vaccination success. I should have mentioned that one first above, but I was tired. Someone that is "anti-vaccinations" should look into the history of that. Oh, and how come we don't have Jonas Salk day? Smallpox is another success story. We have likely eradicated that one with vaccinations.

From what the Hippy tells me the vaccines are no longer pure..seems that they put stuff like mercury in them and the QC has gone down.

She is very smart/knowledgeable about this sort of thing and I am ignorant in this area..she does health, I do guns and computers

karl

From what the Hippy tells me the vaccines are no longer pure..seems that they put stuff like mercury in them and the QC has gone down.

She is very smart/knowledgeable about this sort of thing and I am ignorant in this area..she does health, I do guns and computers

karl

Karl I've heard the same about vaccinations. With all the litigation against drug companies. I very seriously doubt they'd put anything harmful or cut the quality for anything distributed in the USA. There are probably tens of thousands of lawyers out there. Ready to pounce on any drug company for the slightest mis-hap. I'm also a very firm believer in annual flu-shots. I haven't had any serious flu symptoms since I started in the early 70's.

There's always a risk when somebody swallows a pill or gets injected. My mother was hospitalized late 50's after taking two aspirins, a Vitamin C tablet and two cups of coffee. Best I remember she fried her stomach lining and bled internally. Just have to weigh the good against the bad. The way I look at it. The odds are clearly in my favor.

Well,the PA screwed up the prescription meds I take. I took an empty bottle in so they would know exactly what I was taking, and how much. Since Gemcare will now do 90 day prescriptions on the BP meds I take, I ask that my 30 day prescription be changed to 90,

She said, "No problem". But, what she did was double my dose, from one pill a day to two, and increase the prescription to a 60 day supply instead of 90.

Fnny thing, whe wasn't worried about my triglyceride levels like my previous Dr. Rather, she focused on the fact that my Vitamin D levels were low. I don't under stand that one, since I usually walk my dogs for at least an hour a day, and here in Sunny Central CA. Vitamin D shouldn't be a problem. So, she gave me a prescription for Vitamin D. I'm going to have to watch her like a hawk I guess when I go back.

Sailorman I was surprised to find my Vitamin D low. Dr told me there is a form of Vitamin D that is not in sunlight.

I've had some bad experiences with PA's but there were two I've crossed paths with I'd trust my life with. It was an Osteopathic PA that discovered I was being mistakenly double dosed on pain meds and taking three different anti-depressants while I was in the hospital. She spent a lot of time going through my medical records and history. She was looking for the smoking gun, a possible cause or source of the Lymphoma. The work load on the two Dr's and one intern in the City Of Hope portion of the hospital I was in was out of control and the PA's stepped up. I was fortunate the DO PA was around during my six week stay.