Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
AzRednek

Couldn't Help Myself

Saw this on Backpage and couldn't resist. Guy was asking a grand but would consider a trade for an O/U 12 ga. I traded straight across an Angelo Zoli O\U. My Angelo Zoli often mistaken for the high priced Antonio Zoli is worth considerably less than the Antonio models which can run a few G's. My Angelo probably in the 250-450 price range. I made sure the guy I swapped with understood the difference between the two Zolis.

The Winny shows some handling scars on the stock but the bore is bright and shiny. Hopefully I wasn't had by a defective rifle as parts for the Model 88, firing pin especially are hard to find. All I've done so far is pop a primed empty case with it. Trigger could definitely use some improvement but its fine for hunting. The cheapie scope has the typical 70's what was then called tip-off scope mount. The mounts are hinged on one side if the shooter wants to use the irons.

Really I needed another rifle like I do another hole in my head. I've always wanted another hammerless lever since I gave my son my Savage 99. Never thought though I'd wind up with the Winchester.

P1010032_zps2s8ogma8.jpg

P1010034_zpsalqod3uz.jpg

If by some strange chance anybody has a Model 88 in 358 Winchester and would like to trade, please let me know.

The stock and the finish show some very nice attention to detail. If it shoots as well as it looks you will have done well indeed.

karl

Saw this on Backpage and couldn't resist. Guy was asking a grand but would consider a trade for an O/U 12 ga. I traded straight across an Angelo Zoli O\U. My Angelo Zoli often mistaken for the high priced Antonio Zoli is worth considerably less than the Antonio models which can run a few G's. My Angelo probably in the 250-450 price range. I made sure the guy I swapped with understood the difference between the two Zolis.

The Winny shows some handling scars on the stock but the bore is bright and shiny. Hopefully I wasn't had by a defective rifle as parts for the Model 88, firing pin especially are hard to find. All I've done so far is pop a primed empty case with it. Trigger could definitely use some improvement but its fine for hunting. The cheapie scope has the typical 70's what was then called tip-off scope mount. The mounts are hinged on one side if the shooter wants to use the irons.

Really I needed another rifle like I do another hole in my head. I've always wanted another hammerless lever since I gave my son my Savage 99. Never thought though I'd wind up with the Winchester.

P1010032_zps2s8ogma8.jpg

P1010034_zpsalqod3uz.jpg

If by some strange chance anybody has a Model 88 in 358 Winchester and would like to trade, please let me know.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=519236279

That's interesting. What caliber is it? Is it a "pre" or "post" '64?

Not sure yet, I have to find a source that will tell me based on the serial number. The seller claimed he didn't know. Said it was gifted to him used almost 20 years ago. Years of wheeling-dealing tells me. When sellers claim they don't know about the pre-64 question. Its usually because they don't want to give a straight answer and is probably post 64. I'm currently trying to get my X to run the serial number to be certain it isn't hot. If the gun and seller clears they system. I might look into a trigger job if I decide it is a keeper. I saw an online post about 10 years old. Poster claimed a Model 88 trigger job cost $160. I like nice triggers but I like 160 bucks +10 years of inflation in the bank better. Its chambered for 308 Winchester.

The stock and the finish show some very nice attention to detail. If it shoots as well as it looks you will have done well indeed. karl

The photo makes it appear a bit nicer than it really is although it is not bad for its age. There are some very minor dings but it doesn't appear to have been refinished. The wood stock has the scent of furniture oil and I suspect it may have been treated with Scratch Cover. I can't complain about the Scratch Cover. I use it myself on wood grips. The odor might just be red furniture oil as it hasn't settled into or darkened the checkering.

I'm still undecided if its a keeper or future horse trading goods. Likely will keep it if it is post 64 and scores a bit better than minute of deer accuracy. If it turns out to be a pre 64 I will be tempted to trade up with it. Got a few Winchester collectors in my gun club with very deep pockets and plenty of horse trading goods when it come to filling a void in their collection. I'll take it to the next club meeting for show'n'tell to see if it generates any interest like my USMC H&R 22 did.

I have a gazillion and a half medical appts coming up, throttle sticking again on my Isuzu and I might be eating up a bunch of time 86-ing a renter. With time being tight, probably be a few weeks before I get it to the range. Being honest here. As much as I hate to think about it. Tomorrow's PET Scan results will be a factor on what stays and goes.

IMHO the win 88 is one of the finest lever guns ever made. A friend had one back in the 80's and it was a laser beam.

The reason Winchester quit making then was because they didn't sell well because the look didn't appeal to lever gun buyers.

great find AZ

Good luck with the docs Az.

As I learned they do very good work these days. : )

Let us know.

karl

I believe all the one with the basket weave are post 64. My pre 64 made in 62 I think has cut checkering. That is my stalking rifle for deer hunting the swamps around here. Jim Wisner makes new mags for them if you need any. I had guy malmburg redo the trigger on mine. He got it to a crisp 3-1/2#. Not sure who works on these any more.

Don

My Model 70 is a '64. I still like it.

Doc I had an early 70's Model 670 in 06. It was an excellent shooter with accuracy on par with my 03 Springfield. I gave it to my brother years ago and he still has today stashed in his mountain cabin. Think I paid about 125 for it about 72 or 73. the higher end model 70's with checkered walnut, bright blue and a Winchester marked leather sling. I think were priced closer to, two hundred.

I got it as an advertised sale price from Woolco. Woolco was the so-called discount house that sprang from Woolworths. I'll always remember the 670 well. I tried to return it a week later. The week after I bought it. Woolco had another rifle sale on Viscount brand Mausers. They had a double trigger Mannlicher style 06 for only 20-25 or so more than I paid for the Winchester. Simply no way would Woolco take it back or exchange it.

The 670 was the cheapie model, birch stock, no checkering and a lower grade, non-polished bluing. The trigger guard, floor plate and follower are all metal. I believe the plastic started in the late 70's. Best I recall the irons needed a bit of tweaking with a brass hammer. I later installed a Japanese Weaver scope on it.

In my mid 20's with sharp eyesight, steady hand and off a bench. I could print clusters at 50 yards and keep it in a two inch bullseye at a hundred through the irons.