Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Help Me Out Guys?

powdr

I need a 6.5X55 barrel to screw on my Turk. Needs to be clean in and out and 21+ inches long. Prefer a slick barrel w/no sights. Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but I didn't know where to put it. powdr

Are you looking for something someone has laying around or do you want to buy new? I got a 7mm small ring from Midway and it wasn't that much. You might try them or the other parts sellers. That Turk should have small ring threads. Always best to measure first.

Finding an original 6.5 Swede barrel might involve a lot of luck, and getting a complete rifle to strip the barrel from will be costly. Brownells shows short chambered Large Ring 1.1" shank for M98 Mauser in 6.5 x 55 that could be turned down to small ring size. They show $84 for them. Shilen barrels in 6.5 Swede with small ring threads are $300.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/short-chambered-mauser-barrel-prod22531.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/fitted-barrels-for-small-ring-mauser-93-96-prod12528.aspx

Spiris

• 5 weeks later...

You can also use an Remington 700 barrel and have the threads turn down and short chambered. I have an 270 barrel when all my projects are finish and one Turk 38 with bad bore. But will be a few years before i get to that point. Even got an new unissue stock and going to inlet some other wood into the holes and put an end cap on the forarms. Thinking zebra wood or something really nice. This rifle will have open sights and holes drill and tap for scope.

Remington barrels can go from 40 to 120 that i have seen.

You can also use an Remington 700 barrel and have the threads turn down and short chambered. I have an 270 barrel when all my projects are finish and one Turk 38 with bad bore. But will be a few years before i get to that point. Even got an new unissue stock and going to inlet some other wood into the holes and put an end cap on the forarms. Thinking zebra wood or something really nice. This rifle will have open sights and holes drill and tap for scope.

Remington barrels can go from 40 to 120 that i have seen.

I used a Rem .243Win. barrel on a Turk ages ago. It was one of the most accurate Mausers I've had. Best shot was a groundhog at 300+yds. I later cut a kid-sized stock for it and sold for a ridiculous low price to a friend for his son's first CF rifle, with the stipulation that when he grew I would either swap stocks with a full-sized composite one I had or I'd buy the rifle back. Five years later he mentioned to my wife he'd traded it on another rifle for his kid since he'd outgrown the stock. Good deeds never go unpunished. :(

It does take some work but not much as I recall. It's been a long time ago though. Used to be a supplier in Baltimore who specialized in Swede stuff. I bought several NOS, packed in white grease, 6.5 barrels from them. Try as I may, I can't remember the name though. I'll check. There may still be one laying around here somewhere.