Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Littlephil

Howdy!

Howdy all, just thought I'd drop in and make my presence known. I've searched some things on Google that brought me here a few times over the past few years and I thought I'd finally join. There's a lot of interesting reading in the forum, and I'm sure I'll have some questions about my project guns or ideas before too long. I think I'll keep this short for now, but if y'all have any questions, feel free to ask!

Welcome aboard Phil. Got any projects going?? Pictures are always appreciated. We love Mausers, Enfields, Springfields and odd-ball calibers here.

Thanks AZ, I've got more projects than I know what to do with I think. Haha

I don't have any pics handy at the moment, but I've got 3 mausers in varying stages of completeness. One I got as a sporter already. It's an actual K98 that I'd say was done in the 50s or 60s, the bolt, and bottom metal were chrome plated at some point. But it's a good shooter, just needs a new bolt handle, safety, and lower rings.

I've got a vz that had a rough and broken stock that I put in a boyds walnut stock. It's also got a bold trigger and safety-less shroud. Pretty much still original other than that for now.

Third mauser is a k.kale Turk action that's waiting on a d&t and then have the barrel screwed on and chambered. This one is gonna be a 7x57.

I also have a mosin M44 that's getting the "truck gun" makeover. It's also in a boyds stock but has a few bubba'd touches.

There's my 91/30 that has an oversized chamber, that one's still up in the air, but might either become a 7mm mag or a 450 marlin. It's got a timney trigger with side safety already and what a difference that thing makes!

And very last in line is a type 38 arisaka action that I have. Got it as just a stripped reciever pretty cheap, and then figured out why. I've accumulated a bolt body/extractor, bottom metal, trigger, and even the tang pieces. Got put way back on the stove when I started pricing bolt innards. I've been debating on just selling or trading it off since I'll probably never get back to it, but I don't know anybody that builds rifles around here.

I'm not a real gunsmith by any means, just like tinkering on my own stuff. I figure there's only one way to learn, and most of my guns were acquired fairly cheap, so why not? :)

Well this got lengthy pretty fast, but thanks for the welcome fellas, I'll see about taking a few pics within the next couple days and see if I can figure out how to post em.

Thanks again and have a great night!

Welcome Phil ! Your project list sounds like mine , I've just got way to many irons in the fire for my own good. My eyes aren't what they were , are those bluegill on your stringer in that picture ? I'm not computer smart enough to blow it up and it not be blurry where I could tell but if they are those are dandys ! Jim

Thanks manureman. Too many irons is correct,but I just can't turn em away! Haha

Those are mostly crappie on the stringer with, I believe, one bluegill. I love fishing just as much as shooting, I don't know why I couldn't find cheap hobbies.

Welcome aboard! Glad to see there is still interest in home gunsmithing. I look forward to seeing your projects come to life.