Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt Marking

Racepres

As said in another thread, I have a bolt with a marking that I cannot identify.

If you have seen this Marking. Please tell me what it is. Thanks

post-272-0-46870800-1472077812_thumb.jpg

Not a Big deal really...just has had Me Curious for a quite some time, and I am confident someone knows...Just ain't Me...LOL

That looks to be one of the last of the Spanish Mausers. What caliber? Is it small ring (cocks on closing) or large ring (cocks on opening)?

Oh Hell Doc

I don't know...I was looking at that Goofy marking, thinking it looks like the one on my mystery Bolt!!

Apologies for causing confusion!!

As said in another thread, I have a bolt with a marking that I cannot identify.

If you have seen this Marking. Please tell me what it is. Thanks

attachicon.gifStarBolt.jpg

Not a Big deal really...just has had Me Curious for a quite some time, and I am confident someone knows...Just ain't Me...LOL

Maltese Cross in Circle, Spanish military acceptance mark. Usually found on Spanish Mauser Rifles.

JM2c

Maltese Cross in Circle, Spanish military acceptance mark. Usually found on Spanish Mauser Rifles.

JM2c

Like the La Carona shown above??

Would that bolt be in an R. Famage??

Thanks for looking

Like the La Carona shown above??

Would that bolt be in an R. Famage??

Thanks for looking

Could be. You know how Mauser parts get swapped around over the years. La Coruna and Oviedo were the Spanish Gov Armories. And the R. Famage reworks are from a So American country, Don't right off hand remember which. But who knows what stories they could tell after 60+ years.

BTW, Racepres. Welcome back to the forums after your 8 year hiatus.

Could be. You know how Mauser parts get swapped around over the years. La Coruna and Oviedo were the Spanish Gov Armories. And the R. Famage reworks are from a So American country, Don't right off hand remember which. But who knows what stories they could tell after 60+ years.

BTW, Racepres. Welcome back to the forums after your 8 year hiatus.

Thanks

Sometimes Life throws you a Tricky Curve ball!!!

A "little bird" reminded me that I was still Registered here!!! LOL

Thanks again

That looks to be one of the last of the Spanish Mausers. What caliber? Is it small ring (cocks on closing) or large ring (cocks on opening)?

a844e247-f4df-4dea-86bb-2e9fb64e950d_zps

Mine is an M98, cocks on opening. I believe as best I recall they were all 8X57. Quality wise it is sub-par of any Turk 98. In the 60's and 70's when Ackley and others were sporting or re-barreling Mausers. The reliable smiths insisted on heat treating all the Spanish 98 receivers before they would install a barrel. I can also recall being persuaded by a local into a non-Spanish bolt if I opted for the heat treat.

I tried sporting two Spanish 98's back in the 70's. The first pulled out the female threads out with the barrel. It was my second barrel removal ever and possibly I did something wrong. An earlier attempt on a Spanish 93 or 95. I bent the receiver. The second Spanish 98 with a friend's assistance was a success but after apx 100 rds got what a gunsmith told me was named "receiver set-back". Back in the 70's I was the only bread winner for a combined family of six. I took the short cuts to save money and gambled on the Spanish Mausers because they were dirt cheap but nearly always looked good. The Spanish 98's exterior usually looked new on the outside but the barrels were always rusted. I assume it was due to lousy corrosive ammo.

A couple years ago I treated a Spanish tourist couple to a session at the range. Their exchange student daughter very fluent in several languages. Was studying the various Spanish dialects. She was unable to ID any of the markings other than the Spanish crest, words or numbers. She id'd La Corona as a place or possibly a factory. If I remember right I got "possibly" or "maybe" when I asked if it could be an arsenal or armory. She defined "place" as anything from village or city saying place in Spanish roughly translates to neighborhood or area in what she called American dialect.

From what I recall reading in the 70's in books, gun rags and later the net. The metallurgy of the Spanish 98's was very inconsistent. Having lower quality that pre-war models 93 and 95's. The receiver's forging was simply eye balled. Basically it was a crap shoot sporting or re-barreling a Spaniard 98. Receiver could be to soft or if sufficently hard they tended to be brittle. According to the gunsmith that gave mine a death sentence. The receiver was way to soft.

I only have one 98 Spanish Mauser left. I'm keeping it a virginal as possible simply as a collector piece. I acquired it in the mid-70's and at best maybe 150 rds through it since. The dark but not pitted bore shoots mediocre at best. I can hit a silhouette target standing at 100 yards. Bench rested about a 6-8 inch spread at 100 yards with Turk ammo but considerably better with US commercial .

I'll search for more photos of the Spaniard. I'll post them if I find'em.

AzRednecks Spanish tourist friend came real close. Fabrica, [fabricator/maker/factory], De Armas [of Arms], With the city where the [fabricator/ maker/ factory] was located below the Crest. Either La Coruna or Oviedo, along with the YOM.

There are much fewer words in the Spanish language than English. Creating a wider variation in the specific meanings of words. Especially when you start comparing regional dialects, and structures.

In Spain say "tu no tiene huevos" to a vendor and you have nicely asked him if he has eggs.

Say same thing to a vendor along the Mexican border. And you have insultingly accused him of not having any balls, testicles, courage." :o

I HAVE NO IDEA WTF HAPPENED HERE.

A Cuban friend told me once that Mexican Spanish for 'F you" in Cuban meant "Grab you."

That would still Work!!!

But...You Cats step away from the damn bar...and please look at the markings on the Bolt handle Root in the first post.

Then look at the similar [to me] mark on the rear portion of the front ring on the LaCorona posted...

Do they appear to be the same Marking to you???

Thank You

They look different to me. The one on the receiver looks like a square in a circle. The one on the bolt handle looks like a 4 pointed star (inward sloping or curved lines connecting the points) in a circle. Definitely not identical, but what that means, I have no idea.

Good stuff...good price too.

I have a Lowe MFG 1893...I like it just fine.

Maybe there will be some Small Ring stocks available due to the new availability??

BTW yes they are indeed Cock on close...Hasn't bothered me one way or the other.

^^^ Yea... Me Too

Just a Curious Mark.

Gotta quit spilling my beer on the keyboard.

Yes, they are the same only different. I know, doesn't make any sense. GOOGLE "Maltese Cross". Even the classic IRON CROSS German medal is a type of Maltese Cross. Different inspectors at different armories used different stamp to marl parts with.

The Oviedo M-1916s that J&G have are small ring COC rifles. They are not near as well made as your Loewe 1893. Or the later DWM 1893s. Both made in Berlin Germany. Look closely at your 1893. You may, unless it was removed, find a "Six Point Star of David" Jewish symbol on it. The Loewe family were Jews and marked their rifles with it.

JM2c