Military Firearm Restoration Corner

D&t With Barrel Installed?

Racepres

Hello; I am about to try to finish a long running Project.

Turk M38 [large ring small threads] in 270 win.

Got the barrelled action quite some time ago. Just checked and Headspace is good ..maybe a Bit "tight".

I don't know that I want to D&T with the barrel in place?

Since it is pretty thick on the Turkish M38 between the "ring" and the barrel, I guess I could if I was careful...Very Careful!

If I pull the Barrel to D&T, will the headspace be at least close, if not a Bit Tighter Yet???

or should it come right back to where it is???

Thanks for your attention to this

I use a Forster jig to Drill and Tap a barreled action. I really prefer that to the milling machine. If, however, you want to pull the barrel, make an index mark on the barrel and receiver at the bottom where it won't show. Reinstall the barrel to line up the marks, and you will be good to go.

Bill Jacobs

Thanks for that...

Has it been your experience that the barrel will be as "tight" the second time around??

I ask because ..I don't do Gunsmithing often so I borrowed a Headspace gauge set, and do Not own a Reamer...

I am not really wanting to pull the Barrel, unless I am risking a bad D&T job...

In my [feeble] mind I keep telling myself that the "ring" on a Turk is quite thick and shouldn't matter that much...While My non-pragmatic side tells me a R&R of the barrel is a Better Option...

No wonder I don't get anything Done...HUH

Sure you can drill and tap with the barrel on. You'll just need to not drill down into the barrel and then all you're doing is tapping a blind hole.

But as Clemson suggested, its much easier to pull the barrel and not worry about drilling into it on accident.

Sure you can drill and tap with the barrel on. You'll just need to not drill down into the barrel and then all you're doing is tapping a blind hole.

But as Clemson suggested, its much easier to pull the barrel and not worry about drilling into it on accident.

Accident?????

My Middle Name! LOL

Think I will study the length of the base mounting screws carefully. Guessing there is enough room to drill fairly deeply on the Turk, without getting near the Barrel...due to Small Ring size barrel in a Large Ring action...May not even need a Bottoming tap [which I ain't got] We'll see!!

Thanks for the Input...

Now..Gimme Encouragement!!!!

It has been my experience that after pulling a barrel it seems to screw in a little more the second time around.<br />I have solved this problem by very slightly peening the shoulder of the barrel (where it will be at the<br />bottom)

It has been my experience that after pulling a barrel it seems to screw in a little more the second time around.<br />I have solved this problem by very slightly peening the shoulder of the barrel (where it will be at the<br />bottom)

That was my concern.

Interesting solution...

I will see how tightly it is on there before I make a Decision!!!

[How much effort to remove it!!!!] LOL