Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Sailormilan2

Mini Mauser

I've got one Mini Mauser in .22 Hornet, and I am thinking about getting another one in .223 Remington. If I can find one at the right price.
One thing holding me back is that if one breaks the extractor, one is basically out of luck. Since nobody carries spare Zastava made extractors.
However, Sako Vixen L-461 extractors will work with a little filing. Both are apparently based on the 1891 Argentine Mauser extractor, which is just a bit bigger, and may work with some elbow grease......and they are a whole lot cheaper.
I think part of the problem is the very small claw of the extractor coupled with the system being a push feed design.
I'm giving some serious thought to getting a spare bolt and modifying it so that it acts more like a controlled feed system. That is, rather than surrounding the case with a ring of steel, cutting away the bottom part of the ring, so that it resembles that of a Mauser 98 bolt.

However, it won't be a true "controlled feed", since the extractor is at the 11 o'clock position on the bolt(looking the bolt face), instead of the 98's 9 o'clock position. So, the rim won't be fully under the extractor until just before the bolt closes. But, at least it won't be sliding over the rim and flexing the extractor.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

I've seen those at Cabella's. They look cool. Why not just order a new extractor from Zastava? Surely the importer can get you one, or the factory and have it shipped. Is the extractor a super weak point? That is, do they tend to break on you, or you just want one? I think I'd shoot it till it breaks, then worry about modifying it.

There is literally no support for those guns. What support there is are leftovers from when Remington sold them. I don't know that it's a super weak point, but it happens enough that people often comment about it.

I've found a place that has a few, at $70+ each. I want one for just in case, but also to use as a master if one breaks and I decide to try modifying a '91 Argentine extractor. I have found those new at $6 ea.

91 extractor is a totally different design from the 93. One is a hook and the other is a long claw.

Bill

I believe Century is the US outlet for Zastava now days.

Here are 3 views of a Sako Vixen extractor compared to a Mauser '91 Argentine extractor. The Sako is the small one.

post-13-0-17662600-1488640012_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-21702200-1488640021_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-10704800-1488640030_thumb.jpg