Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Did A Lot In Two Days

spec4 e4

I patch the shower and toilet hole and recut them. Fix my mistake, bring out two electric box to 1/2", extend the shower by 12", install shower drain and pipes, patch an small area or rotten wood with jb wood filler. Since my surgery, I have done very little. Boy I'm tired.

Rob

The old shower drain was round but had an square hole in the floor but need it to be am or tighter for the sand mix base. As for the toilet hole, it was just to home to screw the giant down on it. So I built and square frame and used an router with an straight bit and made two nice square holes and patch them up with oak plywood. Then used in in wood filler to fill in the gaps.

Was is so tiresome was that I had to go to two differ hardware store for the abs pipe fitting.

Rob

Had a shower in one of my rentals take a dump last weekend. Tile fell off the wall and the drywall behind tile turned moldy. Got a guy finishing the drywall this weekend. Next weekend be replacing tile. I re-tiled the bathroom about 20 years ago, did a good job with Mexican tile, high priced moisture resistant grout and I sealed everything. With my F'd up spine I'm just not capable of doing it myself. Gonna cost me 4-500. To add to the misery, renter informed me she didn't have the rent and will be 2 weeks late. She had to get a brake job on her van. The final straw was getting the annual bill for the fire insurance in today's mail.

I was offered a pre-64 Winchester Model 250 Deluxe today for only 160. Its a hammerless 22 lever action. Afraid I might have to pass.

20 years not bad. Being home is the pain, but slowly it is going. Next time home is the shower pan and drywall. Rob

I did three bathrooms and my own years ago. I didn't do the bottoms, install the pan in the shower or replace the tub in the other. Had it done by an illegal handyman. One bathroom in the house I inherited from my mother got it re-tiled for just the cost of materiel. A plumber hired to re-pipe all the old cast iron plumbing with copper. He wanted the 1953 lead zinc metal tile for a project he described as being in "richville". I did the walls in three taking my time and doing it right. The other two are still fine but I'm afraid of a mold problem on the one that went bad. Hope the guy I hired got all the moldy drywall. That bathroom is back to back with a washing machine drain. 3 out of 4 times I had to clear the drain I pulled out tampons. Have a feeling the drains plugged and the renters let the stagnant water sit in the shower. Last time I pulled out a tampon I showed it to the renter telling her she was on her own if it plugged up again.

I foolishly waited and lost out on the Winchester 250. It wasn't pre-64 according to the net as he claimed but if I decided to re-sell it I could have easily got 4-500. He sold it to somebody else and admitted he let the buyer beat him down 20 bucks only getting 140. I would have likely hung on to it as a shooter. I retired my USMC WW2 dated H&R Resing 22. After I found out the H&R Leatherneck is highly collectable but was built back in the days for milder 22 ammo. Today's hotter 22 ammo according to the net makes the H&R's extractor pone to breakage.

Too bad on the Winnie. That was a bargain.

I dunno abut the H&R, but now that the 22 shortage is over, you can get "standard velocity" ammo lots of places. I would think that a mini-mag type would be hotter. i still have a brick or two of some standard velocity Russian made 22LR I bought 20+ years ago. That stuff is really accurate, but runs out of steam after 75 yards.

Doc I recently found some GECO brand std velocity and put about 20rds through the H&R. I got the H&R about 80 or 81. They were donated to Az G&F for a youth program that never got off the drawing board. G&F auctioned them off on a day I couldn't go so two of my buds bid for me. I'm sure they cherry picked the best. Theirs came with 1917 leather sling, spare mag and extractor in original govt wrapping mine didn't. Couldn't complain as mine only cost 90 bucks. At the time SARCO, Sherwood and Numrich had plenty of spare H&R parts cheap. Now the parts and extractors are a bit scarce and pricey.

Member of my gun club that has a store front gun shop that deals almost exclusively with military and NFA. He wants the H&R bad for his personal 20th Century US military collection. We've negotiated back and forth for my H&R and a 1917 Eddystone. I want an M-1A but we are to far apart on the cash booty. A couple of online dealers had NIB, walnut stocked and std barrel M-1A's for about 1,250. We were getting close but almost overnight the walnut M-1A's price jumped about 300 and offered a birch or plastic stocked, plastic 5rd magazine version for about 1300.

As much as I like the Leatherneck I'm just afraid to shoot it, have something go wrong and drastically lower its value not being 100% original. If I can somehow manage to get a M-1A out of it without writing a big check I may trade it away. The dealer has also hinted wanting my 1909 dated 03 Springfield and my early 70's Colt AR-15 sub model SP-1. The early AR's are easily converted to select fire with the NFA registered parts. Told him "no f-ing way" for either. I'm hoping by next meeting the thousand dollar J&G Enfields ad got his attention. I offered a couple of Remington sporter rifles including a 22-250 BDL model with the factory varmint barrel but he has no interest in either. Claiming his customer base are military collectors.

I saw one of those Colt SP1's at the big Tulsa show a few years ago. They wanted $1800 for it then, but that was also during one of the bubbles. No idea what they sell for today.

The SP-1 with a simple drop in part and installation of a M-16 bolt carrier with enable full auto. A bit more work can turn them into select fire. At the time when the serial numbered parts were available and legal with NFA stamp. I had lost interest in guns and didn't bother. Friend of mine bought three kits and got the NFA stamps. He's the type of guy that's well off and avoids talk about his money but he did tell me he turned two for a nice profit.

I've seen the SP-1's going anywhere from 1-2,000 bucks. The downside of the SP-1 is the lack of a forward assist and rifling good for 52-62 gr slugs not doing a good job with anything heavier. I've heard but never seen it for myself. The transferable parts can now cost thousands. Best I recall during the scramble prior to ending of any new NFA weapons. The part and bolts sold together as a kit were about 100. There were cheaper parts available but unless it was serialized in compliance with ATF regs and processed prior to the cut off date. Like M-2 carbine parts, mere possession of the parts could earn somebody a felony conviction.