Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Happy Thanksgiving Fellas

FC

Hey FC great weather here too ! Ive taken a break from the truck and am trying to get my beans picked while weve got good running , so I was on the combine till dark then came in and had a great meal with all the kids and grandkids. Now everybody has went to town doing the thanksgiving sale thing and left me with a full belly kicked back in the recliner trying to keep my eyes open. Been a perfect day! And I hope you all have had one every bit as great as mine, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Jim

Weather great here in Phoenix as well, somewhere in the 80's. Son smoked a couple turkey breasts and the weather so nice we all gathered on his patio to pig out. Gotta admit it was nice not eating out of a microwave and the hickory smoked turkey was delicious. Left early as my twins and daughter in law were all headed for early Black Friday sales. One son lined up at Wally's at 6:00 just to get an appointment for tomorrow. They're after phones, Tv's and other electronic gizmos.

Every year I "have" to make pumpkin pie from scratch. "Way mo' betta" than canned pumpkin. I learned to make mashed potatoes that everyone says are the best a long time ago from a chef in Louisiana on TV. Put in chives, sour cream, bacon bits, milk, salt, pepper, butter, and cheese. Last year when the Dutch friends came over, the woman said dressing (which she'd never had) was her favorite. I'll eat that stuff cold.

Tony the mashed potatoes sound like what a chef made in a restaurant I worked in as a young teen. They were delicious and the chef would never reveal his recipe and often kicked everybody myself included out when he mixed them up. I don't recall him using bacon bits but suspect he added broth or fat drippings. I do know for certain he used heavy cream, sour cream, real butter and plenty of chives because I had to chop them up. Chef claimed it was a northern Italian recipe he learned in chef school.

A Thanksgiving treat I really miss were my Grandmother's minced and minced meat pies she spent days making. Been nearly 50 years. Can't even guess the recipes. The minced meat I believe she used lamb and brandy. She topped the pie with tapioca pudding she spent hours on making it with a double boiler.