Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My View Of Trump

karlunity

• 1 month later...

Trump is a weird call.  I'm constantly amused by those who describe him in some way as not knowing how the system works.  Its been over a year now and they STILL don't grasp that his outsider status more than any other single thing was probably his greatest attraction!  The Bush's voted for Clinton!  What's that tell you?  They are more concerned about the health of the system than the nation.  One of Trump's biggest handicaps as an outsider was that he didn't come into office with a pre-ordained cadre of party selected underlings ready to hit the ground running.  He's had a tough time filling the slots because he didn't even have the second string or the JV team to choose from.  He had to go down to the park and round up a bunch of freewheelers.   As might be expected, a lot of them, maybe most of them, aren't up to the challenges of the big game.  Poor ole Jeff Sessions.  LOL!!!  He's a man of another era.  He's not going to make it long, but I think Trump realizes now he needs to find someone who can roll with him before he fires any more high profilers unless something happens that he has to. 

Times have changed.  For instance, medical costs.  Obamacare wasn't the best, but it was a step in the (sort of) right direction.  Health care is now (like everything!) #1 about money.  I don't know if patient care even makes #3 at most hospitals and care facilities.  Even routine procedures are out of reach w/o insurance, whether private or government funded and private insurance is out of reach for many through no fault of their own.  This is going to be one of the determining factors of our period in history.  My greatest fear is that when Trump needs some lieutenant to make a recommendation or make a call on such defining issues, that lieutenant isn't going to be up to the task because the candidate pool was so small and others in government are deliberately not helping due to politics instead of doing what's in OUR best interest.  

I'm just hoping that somewhere in all this somebody realizes we don't care who you are, what color or gender you are, what religion you ascribe to or don't, or who you sleep with.  We just want representatives who get the job done like they are supposed to.  Representatives whose ONLY goal is doing what is in OUR best interest while doing it within the confines of the constitution even if they KNOW it's going to cost them the next election.  The best thing that could happen would be the abolishment of all political parties!   Let each representative sink or float on his own personal reputation.        

Anybody here stil in CA.?  Jerry Brown seems determined to push that envelope.  Going to be interesting where that whole thing goes.  Everyone is up in arms about Russia creating facbook memes to influence how actual American citizens cast legal votes and California (and a few others) are okay with letting non-citizens vote.  I don't get it. 

Secession didn't work so well the last time.  That said, ADDING new states could be as effective, maybe more so than thinning out existing ones. Smaller districts making representatives more accessible to constituents and hence more prone to do what they ask than what the party dictates.   The problem is the parties - both of em - like it the way it is and change is a threat to their power whether their gang in #1 or #2 at the time, its a threat just the same and THEY control change whether we want to try it or not.  

Two sides of the same coin with few exceptions in my opinion. And the very few that I think might be an exception..... I don’t trust one bit. Trump was not my candidate in the primary and while I take issue with some of his moves, I will say he has been a very pleasant surprise and has done more quicker than I expected or had hopes for. And probably gotten more done than my candidate of choice by far. I’m just pretty tickled with him so far.

Jim

Trump is sounding different from his first appearance in Phoenix. It was before his primary victory and security was handled by a private firm. During his speech he boasted about speaking from the heart without the aid of a TelePrompTer. (thx Siri for the spelling) Trump insisted no citizenship for any illegal immigrant unless they went back and got in the back of the line. Can't recall the words but he was insistent that no preferential treatment be given to anybody regardless of how long they have been here. DACA wasn't mentioned but I believe he's caved in recently to get the wall. 

I do know a DACA adult in his mid twenties. He did three years in the Marines, was in combat In the Sandbox and last time I spoke with him he had applied for the Border Patrol. I hate to see him returned, he arrived as an infant. His entire family are all gainfully employed and with one exception they all speak English with no accent. 

5 hours ago, AzRednek said:

I do know a DACA adult in his mid twenties. He did three years in the Marines, was in combat In the Sandbox and last time I spoke with him he had applied for the Border Patrol. I hate to see him returned, he arrived as an infant. His entire family are all gainfully employed and with one exception they all speak English with no accent. 

THAT right there is the American story!   My sister in-law's dad's story was very similar except he came from Italy in the 20's.  Here served in Europe - including southern Europe - in spite of the possibility of execution as a traitor if captured being a 1st gen. Italian immigrant (technically  an Italian citizen though he didn't claim it).   It's a story similar to MILLIONS of Americans and their ancestors.  Immigration isn't our problem.  Ignoring the law and being allowed to is.  Undocumented entry is an iffy subject I can't personally take a position on, but those who try to assimilate deserve a nod, especially those such as your friend for whom the choice of immigrating was not even his.  Those who run away from home and cross the border as teenagers then get the same benefits because they're legally "children" are whole different ball game though!  

I’ll take a jillion like the young man Az described,and be proud to get them.

The boarder has to be sealed . But I’ve never believed Trumps  BS about building the wall or more so making Mexico pay for it. I sure hope he proves me wrong. He’s surprised me so far.

Sessions needs to start pulling some rabbits out of his hat or he needs a boot in his backside. I’ve had all the PC southern gentleman routine I can stomach .

And while I’m dreaming ,lock her up!

Jim

Yeah, that whole wall thing is pretty much grandstanding... sort of.  While as Manureman says, we need to make our borders defensible, the first step in that equation is making it recognizable.  A couple train cars of barbwire and sixteen foot poles would do the same thing.  Something like "the wall" may, might maybe be defensible in short high-traffic sections, but the only thing that's going to really work is a whole lot of LE patrolling a clearly marked line in the sand AND taking meaningful action against those who violate it.  When getting caught becomes less attractive than the benefits found on the other side, compliance will follow.   

I'm not opposed to amnesty.  Make an application, pass a background check, meet the criteria of other (legal) immigrants begin the path to citizenship.  You're good.   Good people have taken much worse chances to make life better for their families.