Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Marlin 336Sc

rdm1962

I did a post about the managed hunt my kids and I were drawn for. FC asked for some pictures of my Marlin so here they are. It was in very neglected condition when I got it. The stock and hand guard were black from old dried blood, dirt and grim. It was cracked at the tang. There was dried blood under the hand guard and along the magazine tube. The blueing on the receiver and leaver was almost all gone. There was active rust inside the leaver and on the bottom of the receiver.

I always wanted a 35 Rem and a SC (sporting carbine) model. Getting both in the same rifle was a win, win. This rifle was made in 1958 so I could use my C&R to buy it. I got it cleaned up and back into respectable condition. I didn't want it to look new, I wanted it to look like it just came out of someone's Grandpas closet. The next thing needed was the rite scope for it. I found a vintage Tasco 4x32 "command post" scope for it.

This rifle / scope combinations was perfect for heavy woods hunting. You guys in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan ect... know what I meen. Overall I'm very pleased with it's performance and the results of the 35 Rem round.

post-3785-0-08613600-1513624265_thumb.jpg

post-3785-0-59309100-1513624274_thumb.jpg

post-3785-0-28853200-1513624289_thumb.jpg

post-3785-0-59463900-1513624302_thumb.jpg

For the bad shape it was in you have it looking pretty good. Just curious, does it have Marlin's Micro-Groove or conventional rifling??

I prefer the conventional rifling being a cast bullet shooter. My 30/30 Marlin Glenfield has a Micro-Groove barrel. Shoots great with jacketed bullets but not worth a tinker's darn with my home cast. From what I've read on various boards, a gas checked cast slug sized .311 will properly engage the rifling but I've never tried it.

Few years ago I horse traded an Iver Johnson M-1 Carbine for a Marlin 45/70. It has the Micro-Groove barrel. I was disappointed with Hornady Lever Revolution Ammo but surprisingly some odd ball brand gas checked 405gr lead was impressive.

Don't see many kind things said about the new so-called Remlins. I do see plenty of praise online of older Marlins, 35 Remington especially. I've had a 444 Marlin on my wish list for years. About 72 my next door neighbor got an Elk with a one shot kill with his then brand new 444.