Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Passing The Hat Time

Dr.Hess

Hey guys,

As Tony mentioned in another thread, we're having some site issues. Az and Kenny can't get to the site. Near as we can tell, our sucuri "security" people are about f'ing useless. Couple that with the fact that the rest of us are not net web page people and we find ourselves in need of some assistance. Let's face it, a nurse, truck drivers, farmers, retired teachers, burned-out brain surgeon who does databases ("FTW"), retired postal worker, gunsmiths, etc., ain't exactly web page developers and internet security experts.

I know a guy that does this kind of stuff professionally and on the side. He lives in Barbados, hangs out on a car forum I have been on for decades, and we've corresponded for ten years at least. I think he's a Canadian citizen. Anyway, he has offered to:

* Tune up our web host-side settings

* Put up our own firewall so we can get rid of the suruci people

* Implement a real backup plan, backing up the site on a regular basis so that if we get smashed again, as has happened before, we can restore it and go on with minimal losses. This is a biggie, as we have a lot of knowledge we want to keep and near as I can tell, we have like zip for backups currently. "Good thoughts" is probably about all we have at the moment.

* Help a bit with the Invision board software for updates, etc.

for a fee of two bills a year. I don't know where you can hire a net web expert for $16 a month. The virtually useless sucuri people are charging us about half that, at a service level they don't even list on their web site. This way we get our own network IT support guy (OK, he's in Barbados, but we can practically sail over there and it's our own time zone), not some ticket system going to India.

So... We need to pass the hat to pay for it.

Tony, PayPal or snail mail, like usual?

Hi everyone,

I'm the guy who's going to be doing the security, backup, and upgrade work on here. I'll do the bulk of the initial fix-up work this weekend (so don't panic if there's downtime, should only be a little during the forum upgrade), but first I'll grab a backup this evening after hearing that it's currently backed up with hopes and prayers :o

I know you guys are running on donations so I'm keepin' it real cheap, the trick is that it's just a relatively simple forum, so if I do my job properly it'll only be $200/yr of effort on my end ;)

Sorry about the little outage there, at least this site's now running on a version of PHP that's supported and from this decade (literally!), plus there are some real backups saved now. For the record the outage was actually triggered by the hosting provider's tech support guy, he tried to bump it to the very latest version like a maniac :D

Up date the MO will go out on Tuesday.

Seems I hurt my back.. so a tad slow getting to the store..I think we are just getting old but the Hippy thinks it is "bad aspects" She is an astrologer!!!  And  bible reader...

Hey  Women see no contradiction   and as REH said Women and cats do as they please.

karl  

14 hours ago, karlunity said:

Up date the MO will go out on Tuesday.

Seems I hurt my back.. so a tad slow getting to the store..I think we are just getting old but the Hippy thinks it is "bad aspects" She is an astrologer!!!  And  bible reader...

Hey  Women see no contradiction   and as REH said Women and cats do as they please.

karl  

I had an X like that, into stars and the Bible. I'm told after a dispute with her Lutheran minister she jumped ship to another Christian church. 

And speaking of cats, have another cat story while I was unable to get on the board. Had a nice cool night (brag brag) and I left the back door open for my German Shepard. I suddenly heard all kinds of noise in my storage room. My dog was going after a cat. Between the two anything standing was knocked over and shelves emptied. Got control of my dog, locked him in a bathroom and persued the cat. The cat decided to run but stand his ground literally attack get the broom I was using. I coaxed him out with canned dog food and threw a blanket on him and tossed it out back door. 

Guess the food was a bad idea as he was back the next night. Only this time my dog intercepted him in the kitchen chasing it into dining area destroying anything in the way. Lost a spice rack, my favorite coffee cup, pepper grinder and a couple of glasses. Guess I shouldn't have been so lazy leaving left over pizza on the counter. Started cleaning storage room yesterday. Lost a free standing heater I foolishly stepped on chasing the cat. My sewing machine was knocked off the shelf and when I tested it today discovered it is way out of time. 

Have a trap set by back door for two days but so far no luck. Don't know what I'll do if I catch him. Both the dog pound and Humane Society will only accept an animal if they have room and I'm willing to pay hefty fee. According to local net chatter the Sheriff's Office volunteer pet posse has sought felony charges on anyone caught dumping unwanted pets. If I catch him he's definitely going for a ride. There was somebody in Phx caught poisoning feral cats, got jail time and fine. If he's not indigent he probably shelled out 10g's in lawyer fees.

Just gotta love the meat eating animal loving hypocrites. The pet lobby here manages to pull a lot of weight with politicians. It started years ago headed by Amanda Blake. I have two cat hoarding neighbors. The queer a few doors down I'm told was ordered by Sheriffs Office to spay and neuter his hoard. He was also issued a citation but I'm not sure what for. He has by far the dirtiest filthiest smelly house I've ever encountered. As a mailman I saw and smelled numerous pig pens people lived in. At least the hoarder across the street will spend hours waiting in a line at free spay and neuter clinics. She told me the queer's cats have feline leukemia and are starting to die off. 

Good to be back having a place to vent. I wasn't able to get on Jan first so HAPPY NEW YEAR. 

Guess

Yeah, good to see you back, Dave.  And Thanks Gameboy for tuning us up.

Tony, can you out the sucuri people, cancel the "service" and get some money back?  I would be bitching and making new tickets until that happened.  Along the lines of "Regarding ticket ###, you refused to help me, I'm cancelling your service, give me a prorated refund or I complain to my CC company that you ripped me off."