Military Firearm Restoration Corner

working on a turk

ken98k

I've started working on a turk. This project actually started 10 or 12 years ago  as the result of a debate among members here at the time.

I will release one photo at a time.

20171124_135912.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The temperature has been well below zero since I posted these photos and I've been busy with my job (heating tech).

As soon as the weather breaks I'll get back into the shop . 

• 1 month later...

The temps are coming up so I was able to spend a little time in the shop. 

I should have removed the stripper clip hump before rethreading the receiver so noe I had to make a new arbor threaded 1-1/16" x16

20180315_190919.jpg

20180317_175844.jpg

20180317_191727.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what a mauser with 1-1/16x16 thread looks like.

16tpi.jpg.37a8b60a93019f16a1c1f5dde2ced293.jpg

OUCH! Here's what it look like when the receiver loosens up while machining off the stripper clip hump. :(

I guess I'm going to use a hi temp filler to cover this booboo as I'm going to finish it with a bake-on coating.

ouch.thumb.jpg.b186d8e76304f06f3fa14bc74b1d6631.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ken that is a good reminder for me. One of the commercial made mandrels I saw was drilled and tapped for a little clamp plate. You just turn it in hand tight and clamp it on the bottom of the receiver. I thought that would be great for indexing in the surface grinder, but would also save from a mishap like that. I think I am going to drill all mine. 

Don

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 5:06 AM, donmarkey said:

Ken that is a good reminder for me. One of the commercial made mandrels I saw was drilled and tapped for a little clamp plate. You just turn it in hand tight and clamp it on the bottom of the receiver. I thought that would be great for indexing in the surface grinder, but would also save from a mishap like that. I think I am going to drill all mine. 

Don

I'd like to see a photo when you get one completed.

7 hours ago, AzRednek said:

Curiosity got me, did I miss it possibly in another thread? Have you decided which mag caliber you're opening the bolt face for? Being an Alaskan I would guess a Moose killing 338 Win or larger like 375 Ruger.

I guess I never post the caliber! I bought a stainless remington take off barrel in 300 win mag about 12 or 13 years ago, putting that to use.

• 10 months later...

Getting very close to test fire time with this thing. Got the barrel head-spaced and screwed in. 

This past weekend I gave the receiver one final sand blast before painting it with Wheeler Engineering Ceramacoat. I degreased it gave it 3 coats before baking it per wheeler's instructions. However, today I masked off the receiver so I could sandblast the vise and lathe marks off the barrel and when I removed the masking tape the paint came with it. Same thing happened to the ak-47 I built  a while ago!

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of Wheeler Engineering's products. 

Didn't know they made a ceramic coating.  I have some of their other gunsmithing tools.  Always seemed usable but certainly not fancy and a bit on the cheap side.

I guess it's beadblasting it back to the metal and starting over with some other product.