Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Moose hide to leather the Cree way

FC

Got that right, way to much time and work. I can recall migrant farm workers near where I lived in the 50's. Tanning horse, cattle and possibly hog hides. Dont recall seeing them working on them but there were hides streached out on racks untill the workers moved on.

I guess the time it takes is relevant to how much time you have.  Long winter days (and nights!) w/o TV, the internet, etc.  only left so many options. :mellow:

I read somewhere recently about archaeologists finding some skull that somehow they determined belonged to a 15-18 year-old girl and even at that age, the teeth were worn in a certain way from chewing hides to soften them.  And you thought your job was tough. :o LOL!!!

7 hours ago, FC said:

Yeah, nothing to do but hunt, cook, make arrowheads and such.

LOL!!!  Reminds me of a conversation I overheard a long, long time ago between two 25 year-old fellas. One was a Mennonite, the other wasn't.  The Mennonite guy mentioned that he had four children.  The other guy said, "Man, you really ought to get a TV." :rolleyes: