Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Just in

ken98k

I've been wanting to try a 1911 in 10MM. Shooters have been trying to get more oomph out of 1911's for years. I think the 10MM is about as close as one can get to near magnum velocity in an auto without going to something big (and big bucks) like a Desert Eagle or Rowland Conversion. Guess I'm showing my age preferring steel handguns over Tupperware frames. Given the choice I wouldn't hesitate to take the Rock Island over a Glock 10.

Congrats and looking forward to your first range report. I'll be curious about the recoil. Couple months ago I shot a compact Glock 10. Recoil in the compact was uncomfortable shooting 2rds of Buffalo Bore ammo but a bit more tolerable shooting a mag load of Hornady. In your full sized 1911 I bet recoil is easy to handle. 

5 hours ago, MorgansBoss said:

Congratulations!!!  10mm is the one caliber I've lusted after since the Bren10 almost came out.  I'm envious. :wub:

A Bren 10, the Holy Grail but for me not being blessed with considerable wealth. A 10MM 1911 is on my bucket list. If only Beretta would chamber it in a PX I might become a Tupperware guy. 

3 hours ago, ken98k said:

I was thinking seriously about a Witness (cz 75 clone) in 10mm until this Rock Island came along.

I like the steel framed CZ clones have two, both 9's one being a compact. I've seen Tupperware frame, 10MM CZ clones on the net but never eye balled one for real. I'm not sure if anybody is still making a CZ 10 clone with a steel frame. The CZ clones are sold under various brand names from either Turk or Italian mfrs. No doubt in my mind I'd go for the Rock Island 1911 over a plastic frame real CZ or CZ clone. There's that mystique of a 1911 that says "I am an American". A hundred years from now when the plastic frames have deteriorated and turned to dust. The 1911's will still be shooting and loved. As Morgen said, I'm also very envious. 

I remember checking out a Delta Elite back when they first came out, but with a price tag covering half my paycheck at the time, together with a young family, mortgage, etc... it was just admiration.  There was a lot of admiration though! 

Living as I do in East California (Maryland), a number of years ago when the latest BS laws required to buy a handgun in this state were about to take effect, my son John and I were in a shop where his buddy worked and John pointed out a CZ 75B in the showcase.  I'd already decided I was not going to engage in any more of the ridiculous requirements my state legislature places on exercising my civil rights, so the gun was there and it was my last chance.  I bought it!   I'd admired them since they were still being circuitously imported one at a time from behind the iron curtain in the 80's and John knew it.  CZ 75's fit my hand like it was made for me.  The "pointability" is incredible for me.  As natural and easy as pointing my finger. 

I have big hands - long, but thin - and most handguns are either too short or too skinny in the grip.  My brother has a family heirloom FN Hi-Power.  One of those curious war trophies with both nazi proof marks and "Browning's Patent" stamped on the slide.  I did the periodic clean-up on it and some other guns for him recently and examined the 75 and the Hi-power it was inspired by side by side.  Even next to it's granddaddy, the CZ 75 STILL has some mystical attraction for me.  Like I said, it's just as though the danged thing was made specifically for my hands. That pistol is my excalibur!   ...but this is about 10mm's.  If I ever cave in and decide to jump through the states hoops, or in the unlikely event the Maryland politburo decides to roll them back,  a 10mm CZ will be the one I'll be looking for.    

5 hours ago, MorgansBoss said:

Its sure crossed my mind many times.  As the sixth generation of my family here though and so much of my other interests locally, it's unlikely to happen.  

This is what I had in mind.

https://eaacorp.com/guns/handguns/witness-steel-full-size-tanfoglio-52

Stopped by the range yesterday to function fire the 10mm.

It was -12* so my shooting period was short and sweet. The pistol functioned flawlessly except for a new magazine that I picked up failed to lock the slide open after the last round. Recoil seemed to be a little sharper than a standard 45acp but was certainly manageable. Next time I'll take a standard 45 along for comparison.

I was firing at a tin can at about 25' and hit it 5 out 7 shots, so I'm thinking it will be a good shooter when I put up a paper target at 25 yards.

Not sure about a 10MM mag. With GI type 45 mags I bend the follower up slightly where it meets the slide stop. Remove the slide, reinsert slide stop and shove in an unloaded mag. You'll see where the follower meets the slide stop and bend it up slightly. Doesn't take much, just bend it up a hair or two.