Military Firearm Restoration Corner

9x23 1911

Sailormilan2

I just did a bit of net surfing, I was ignorant of the 9x23. First thing that came to mind, why not 38 Super. After reading and realizing 357 performance out of a 1911 is very impressive. Keep us posted, sounds like an interesting project. Are any mods needed to the mags??

No need to do any mods to the mags. A 9x23 is the same length as a 38 Super, and many times will actually fit into a 38 Super chamber.

But I've found a source for some very good 9x19, aka 9mm Parabellum or Luger, 1911 barrels at a very good price. Though they require minor fitting. 

On 2/18/2018 at 9:38 PM, Sailormilan2 said:

No need to do any mods to the mags. A 9x23 is the same length as a 38 Super, and many times will actually fit into a 38 Super chamber.

I recall reading in a gun rag. The manufactures of 38 Supers apparently from encouragement from SAAMI. Changed 38 Supers to headspace on the cartridge mouth instead of the so called semi-rim. Opens up the possibility (maybe) of being able to safely shoot the 9X23 or 38 Super. Friend has a Spanish Star pistol the can shoot either the 9MM Largo or the 38 Auto. The Star's slide is stamped 38 Auto or 9MM. The 38 Auto is exactly the same size as the Super. Although not recommended, the Star's powerful extractor holds the standard 9MM Luger tight enough so it can also be fired.