Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The price of the AR is going back up

karlunity

I've noticed the 499 Rugers and S&W AR's up to as much as 550 from various net distributors. I'm tempted to dig into my rainy day fund as an investment. I can still recall seeing well worn and oddball brand AR's selling for no less than a grand at gun shows during the Obozo led panic buying. Might also e a good time to stock up on 223, 762 Commie ammo and magazines. 

My wallet on the verge of jumping out of my wallet. Have to visit lawyer tomorrow to evict renter and deal with the city after renter turned back yard into junkyard. I was fined once prior due to a renter that couldn't walk about 15 yds to a garbage can. She just opened back door and tossed shitty diapers into back yard. When I attempted to clean the mess she called cops on me for harassment. Cops made me leave. She claimed to cops I was a bigot and bothering her because she's black and her live-in companion a 350 lb plus Arab. 

Hopefully I can get a couple AR's before I go broke. Might make some good future trading goods to a mellennial that just inherited dad or grandpas gun collection from the 1950's. Any of you that can spare the bucks and stay happily married. Go buy an AR or two. Despite the risk as in any investment, be awful hard to lose money. I see the worse case scenario of breaking even. 

Get one while you still can

https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-556-sport-ii-custom-pack.html#.WooiiNFlChA.        

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-556-semi-automatic-556-nato-161-barrel-30-rounds?a=1815207

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-10813-smith-wesson-10159-mp15-sport-ii-semi-auto.aspx 

https://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-black-ar-15-223-5-56mm-16-1-inch-30rd.html

Karlunity, if you don't like AR's might want to consider an AK. I would however avoid an import from Century Arms. Their warranty is a disgrace. Couple years ago I bought a Century imported Canik pistol, not only unreliable but dangerous from hang firing. Century aka CAI just kept giving excuses for not sending me a return authorization number. The distributor finally agreed to exchange it after they' got the same run around. A shooting bud found out the hard way. CAI's 90 warranty begins the day it leaves their facility. 

I bit the bullet, became a panic buyer and sprang for a $525.00 Colt AR-15. About 534 shipped and 20 to my FFL. Next day Grab A Gun jacked it up to 588, pulled the any gun 7.95 shipping and by day three they were out of stock. I know, I know I need another AR like I need another X-wife. Being 67, in poor health buying another gun I don't need as an investment. I'm convinced I haven't matured beyond the kid in the candy store!! Sure I'll feel better about myself after it arrives. 

After seeing the S&W climb from 499 I jumped on the Colt

http://view.email.grabagun.com/?qs=44b942c3298beabaa64c2ffd9266f9c6e31bd36fba1734533eaeaaf2635de375680a4af91013b8440ab7dedc199082d4dd6bfdece325592b49f07933e8ddac15401c03f76be94dc9

When I was growing up in SD my relatives generally had one lever or bolt actually on deer rifle, one shotgun for pheasant, and maybe a .22 rifle. Now everybody wants high cap black plastic.  Heck, really all I want now is an 1886 Winchester.

1 hour ago, karlunity said:

I did get an SKS when they under $ 100 and the ammo is still cheap

karl

What I like best about my SKS, it swallows, shoots and digests any cheap garbage ammo I feed it without a problem. I'm glad I hoarded SKS stripper clips in the 80's. I've seen them on gun show tables a buck each.

AR's have a reputation of FTE's and broken extractors with steel case ammo. After 60 or so rds my AR gets finicky with steel cased ammo. Have to give it a work over with a chamber brush to keep it running. I've read on the net but haven't tried it yet. Spraying the steel 223 with a light coat of Hornady's One Shot and allowing it to dry will keep it running. 

2 hours ago, FC said:

When I was growing up in SD my relatives generally had one lever or bolt actually on deer rifle, one shotgun for pheasant, and maybe a .22 rifle. Now everybody wants high cap black plastic.  Heck, really all I want now is an 1886 Winchester.

My Holy Grail Winchester is the 1895 in 30/06. My former father in law had one he bought new just prior to leaving for WW2. He took it hunting once, shot up the box of ammo he got with it, went overseas and it was unfired since. It had a few storage dings but the action was silky smooth. After his death the rifle went to his grandson that immediately sold it along with nearly everything he was left. 

Best rifle? 1917 enfield in 3006

It will reach out with even a $50 scope to well over 600 meters and I think a better scope may take it to 1000 I have not done that.  

But what the 3006 hits...it hits.

karl

I still have some stripper clips for the SKS ..at one point they gave them away.( i do not think we will see those days again gente) .lost a lot when I moved.

The sks does not have the range or power of the 1917  but out to 200 or 250 it will do the job .. The nice thing about Russian design guns I have seen is that they just work.

karl

3 hours ago, karlunity said:

I still have some stripper clips for the SKS ..at one point they gave them away.( i do not think we will see those days again gente) .lost a lot when I moved.

The sks does not have the range or power of the 1917  but out to 200 or 250 it will do the job .. The nice thing about Russian design guns I have seen is that they just work.

karl

An old timer at a local public shooting range told a group of potential volunteers at one time Garrand clips were considered a nuisance because shooters were just leaving them. He claimed the county had to get magnetic brooms to pick up steel clips before they raked up the brass. 

Couldn't agree more about Russian guns, like John Cameron Swazee used to say in Timex watch commercials. "They take a licking and keep on ticking". Boris can beat his guns to death but they keep shooting. Russian ammo though a different story. The copper washed stuff we had in the 80's. If it went bang it would function in my friend's Nam bring-back Russian SKS, problem was it didn't always go bang.