Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bite them in the butt

karlunity

yep  I dont like them either. but the kids sure do. Az is right about them jamming and no cleaning gear  I had to ask my folks to send me a 22cal cleaning kid which I passed on to friends when I left the Nam and I was a marine grunt!!!!!

Yep the AR is NOT my thing

karl

12 hours ago, karlunity said:

In the 1970s the name was " Colt AR 15 Sporter" some "genius" in marketing started to call it an assault weapon ( which it is not) to get the rambo types...it appears that has now bitten them in the butt. Look it up

The Colt AR-15 SP-1 I bought in 76 was sold as a Sporter hence the SP-1 sub model. Strangely it came with a bayonet but the 20 rd mags had an easily removed block only allowing five rds. 

4 hours ago, karlunity said:

yep  I dont like them either. but the kids sure do. Az is right about them jamming and no cleaning gear  I had to ask my folks to send me a 22cal cleaning kid which I passed on to friends when I left the Nam and I was a marine grunt!!!!!

Yep the AR is NOT my thing

karl

According to my friend he was issued a cleaning kit but as usuall the Marines being the ugly step child of the Navy hadn't got theirs yet. I'll never forget my friend's face, red with anger when the Colt rep said "should'a kept it clean. 

Guess I'm the oddball here, I like my AR. The SP-1 models now get a premium price as a collectible. Also has value being that the so-called Auto Sear works much better in the earlier production AR's. 

I recall on a program on the Sportsman's channel. Can't recall his name he's now a gun rag writer. He was issued an M-16 without cleaning gear. Being a gun person he knew better than the self cleaning BS. He claimed, keep in fact he's a gun writer and the story like has some exaggerations in it. He taught his company how to disassemble, clean with a toothbrush and using M-1 Carbine sling oilers, where to apply the oil. He claimed to have some how obtained a pull through cleaning tool he used on his rifle's bore. 

As far as the young'uns with their AR's. See them at the range and also a few at the recent 2nd rally. Seems like their AR's aren't complete without all kinds of bells, whistles, lasers and other useless toys attached. 

I'll have to admit that the current AR variants are markedly better than the original.  Free floating the barrel did wonders for the accuracy.  The weight of a modern AR is also significantly higher than the original, on the downside.  But 50 years of product development has brought improvements.  I mean, what other weapon system can you get a 2 cup coffee maker attachment for? 

Karl, you should try a new one out sometime. 

Now, I like my AK's, SKS, Mausers, etc., but after being kinda "out" of AR's for 30 years or so, getting back into them today has opened my eyes to what they have become.  Like my 300BO thread. 

On 2/22/2018 at 11:43 AM, FC said:

Wayne LaPierre had better come up with better ideas than arguing statistics and reasoning that criminals won't give up their weapons! What's the plan?

Fox reported that the NRA is opposed to Trump's support of raising age to 21 to buy firearms. Would it include possession meaning I couldn't give my teenager a shotgun and go hunting. I have mixed feelings about it, should  a 19 year old be denied a surplus Mauser. If AR's are somehow banned. It will be more than criminals that won't give them up. If any jack booted thugs showed up at my door demanding my AR's I'd become a criminal in an instant. 

The left started the battle with stats using grossly exaggerated numbers especially with the number of school shootings. 

9 hours ago, wiley said:

Giving anything up won't make them go away. They will be back for the next concession about 1 nanosecond later.

Ask the Brits about butter knives.

I've heard about the crazy U.K. knife laws ending all crime. Prison for anybody selling kitchen cutlery to anybody under 18.