Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Experienced in-liners please help

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

A co-worker won a T/C in-line a couple years ago, which he recently turned over to me to sell for him. To make a long story short I bought it myself. Now the problem. I've done a lot of muzzle loading but it was all patch & ball shooters. I picked up a box of sabots & bullets for this thing today and took it to the range. It was all I could do to get the danged bullet down the tube! The second load lodged half-way home and refused to budge. I actually used a hammer (well, actually a hatchet) to drive it home. The rifle is accurate as all get out, but I can't take something like this in the woods. Are they all that tight? Are there different size sabots? I double checked after the first load and YES, I did have the right size components. I cleaned the rifle when I got it so that wasn't the problem. I also fired four or five caps before loading as I've always done with front stuffers. Is this a no-no with in-lines? Someone PLEASE provide some insight before I scuff a few thou off all these sabots with the garnet paper (my intended next move).

I just got a rossi triple play .243/.12ga/.50 cal in-line. I think it is wise to fire a few caps to dry the barrel. I have been used some cheap sabots and they seem to load fine. It becomes difficult after several shots, but I carry a bore brush and it seems to remedy this. I'd try a different brand of sabots first, just to see if there are any differences. Are you using pyrodex pellets? I've used them and pyrodex powder without any trouble I just left a dead primer in to keep it from falling out. I'm new to this game two, but you should not have that much trouble loading it.

The thinner sabots and bullets as close to bore size are more accurate. the hornady sabots i shoot call for .452 bullets have used cast rejects .450 they shot good but the speed was really slow 1400fps over thr chrony

Send it back to T/C. They have a lifetime warranty on them, and they are the best in the industry for customer satisfaction.

I was given a New Englander for Christmas in a kit when I was 13. I shot that thing a lot when I was younger. When we moved to a new house when I was 17, I had it in the basement in a corner and for got about it. Last year I was at my mothers and went looking for it. This has been 16 years since I last seen it. It was still in the same corner, but a pipe had leaked water down on it. Lets just say it was a little rusty. I cleaned it up the best I could, but the barrel was shot! I talked to T/C and they said to send it in. Two weeks later I got a package back from them. A brand new barrel. Give them a call and see what they say. Just tell them you bought it new or you won it.

• 2 years later...

i may be too late but what i do is use t/c's bore butter. Use it as a cleaner and a lube, can fire 6-8 rounds with no problem. I shoot a t/c 54 cal in line, never had a problem, but something may not be right...shouldn't be that hard to load if everything is in check.

brenden

• 3 months later...
i may be too late but what i do is use t/c's bore butter. Use it as a cleaner and a lube, can fire 6-8 rounds with no problem. I shoot a t/c 54 cal in line, never had a problem, but something may not be right...shouldn't be that hard to load if everything is in check.

brenden

Different manufacturers have slightly different bore diameters, though they vary ever-so-slightly. Different sabot/bullet manufacturers also have slightly different diameters. Best thing to do, is try different brands & bullet/sabot configurations. from my research, a T/C in-line has a pretty tight bore. Also, from my research & experience, 99.9% of both sabot/bullet manufacturers & rifle makers will tell you NOT to use lube. Why, I haven't discovered yet. Myself, when I get a new rifle, I give it a good scrubbin' with bore paste to knock off the rough edges. Even with an in-line, the barrel needs to be "shot-in" before you can achieve optimum accuracy & performance. Hope this helps. Good-Shootin'. Wayne.