Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
swamp_thing

Notice about the electric bore cleaner in the tips

Gentleman and ladies. If there are any of you that have read the electronic bore cleaner thread in the tips of the trades heading and are making or have made one please go back and read the thread for updates as to voltage supplies for them. Breifly, it was ask if a car battery could be used to power one of these. While this is not a dumb question, it does bring up the dangers involved in doing so. The high amprege and higher voltage involved could lead to serious injury and or possibly death. Please read the thread and you will see why this could happen if an automotive type battery were to be used. I thank the poster that ask the question for doing so, as it has prompted me to consider these dangers and thus post the warnings. swamp_thing

You gotta watch-out for the Tim "the toolman" Taylor types. Next time I blow something up I'm going to post a picture of the results. It shouldn't take too long (which reminds me that I need a new fire extinguisher in the shop - good thing the wife didn't find-out, I'm sure she smelled it, but it must be under the radar now, "oh, no, I was just doing some welding...sometimes it smells that way". muah ha ha!).

swamprat, are you saying this warning should be disregarded? Do you not agree that it could pose a potential hazard? If not, have you ever shorted an automobile battery out? I have done so and have seen first hand what can happen with that type of amprege. It can and will create a situation that you do not want to get into. If everything goes right, and nothing shorts out you may do fine, but if not, well, having been warned it is now up to the individual as to what route they wish to take. At any rate, I don't think disregarding the warning is in anyones best interest. swamp_thing

swamprat, are you saying this warning should be disregarded? Do you not agree that it could pose a potential hazard? If not, have you ever shorted an automobile battery out? I have done so and have seen first hand what can happen with that type of amprege. It can and will create a situation that you do not want to get into. If everything goes right, and nothing shorts out you may do fine, but if not, well, having been warned it is now up to the individual as to what route they wish to take. At any rate, I don't think disregarding the warning is in anyones best interest. swamp_thing

I meant disreguard my post not your warning