Jump to content
Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Doble Troble

Cautionary post

Recommended Posts

Ye-ow! Emailed that link to every (non-MFRC) shooter in my address book. Hope it reminds everyone that it only takes a split second of carelessness to alter a lifetime! He's right ALWAYS check that chamber!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

was in a gun shop here last week .......the floor in front of the counter had a chunk

of concrete out of it...guy behind counter say a man walks in with a new gun he had just sold him and the bolt would not open after he had shot it...the clerk sayes

he swore to god in heaven it was a spent round .....270 's made a lot of noise in


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy cow, what a mess!

Here is his story:


The following story and pictures hit my in box today. I had an AD with a Glock in 1990 myself. Fortunately the only results were a hole in the floor, and a lot of embarrassment for me. Most people will respond to this thoughtfully. There will possibly be a few "how could he be so stupid" posts. Well, the best and the brightest among the population all have stupid moments.

Anyway, this illustrated story got me to thinking, and I hope it does the same for everybody else. I appreciate the candor of the author. Maybe the next hand that gets saved will be mine:




Well....I've always heard it's not a matter of "if, but "when". My number came up and I paid a hefty price.


Last Friday I was preparing to go shooting the next AM with a buddy of mine. I had just put a new a-grip on my Glock, and was going to clean

it after my wife and I finished our movie. Crash is an awsome movie BTW.


I put the weapon back together and inserted the mag. I did not pipe a round because I knew I was going to strip it later. I went upstairs

and put the weapon in the tool box in the garage.


About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning. I picked up the Glock, dropped the mag and prepared to remove the slide. I had done this literally thousands of times in the last fifteen years, but this times things were a little different. I grabbed the slide getting ready to push the takedown pins and pulled the trigger......BANG!!!!!


Apparently I DID pipe a round an hour prior. My shooting bud attributes it to force of habit, but why the hell didn't I check the chamber before pulling the trigger? Should that be force of habit too?


Not only did I set off a .45 in my garage, but it passed right through my left hand......Yep....I *******ing shot myself point blank. I'm still having a hard time getting my head around what I did. I was SO angry at myself. I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of procedure changed everything. I'm really taking this hard, and all the "it could have been worse", "accidents happen", and "thank god you didn't lose your hand statements really don't help. I guess I'm

getting over it, but it still seems very surreal to me.


Here are details....I know you all are morbidly curious, and I don't mind telling...it's kinda like therapy for me. I DID NOT hear the shot (nor did my ears ring afterwards), and it felt sorta like catching a fastball right in the palm of your glove. I have a very clear image,

and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand...perfect .45 diameter, not bleeding....yet. It took a few seconds, and then the arterial arch in my palm cut loose. Blood like you wouldn't believe.


I think the fact that I was a Paramedic in a former life helped me out here. I walked into the laundry room and grabbed a towel to wrap it

up and called up the stairs for my wife to come down. I remember thinking "if I go get her, I'll mess up the carpet on the stairs". No lie. She came down half asleep and kind of grumpy, and I told her, "I just put a bullet in my hand". Said she was calling 911 and according to her I responded, "That would be a good idea.." My wife is neo-natal RN, and can remain cool as a cucumber. This helped me out too I think.


I went back into the garage, put my blasted hand on the floor kneeling on the towel and proceeded to open my ever present jump-bag with the other. I opened a US issue trauma dressing with my teeth, and proceeded to wrap my hand. Those dressing are the schiz nit by the way. My wife later told me it was very, "Die-Haredesque" ... I do remember cussing

at myself the entire time...I have never been that angry before ...


Four cops, the shift sup., a pumper truck and am ambulance later I was off to the ER. I didn't feel any pain until I got in the ambulance. The endorphins shut down and it hurt like nothing you can imagine. No tickets from the cops, but they did have to ask which weapon I did it with. My garage looks like an arsenal pre-range trip.


The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger, meta-tarsal, and "removed" two others. It destroyed the flexor tendon of my ring finger, almost separated my pinky tendon, and exited the right side of my wrist just above my watch band. There was a definite exit hole, but the blast force blew the side of my palm WIDE open about three inches in length. I didn't even see the exit wound until I removed my watch for the FD. Anyway, nine hours of surgery, three screws, a tendon graft from my forearm and about two-hundred sutures later I was put back together. My surgeon said if anyone has to get shot in the hand, this was how to do it. No nerve damage ... whew. Physical therapy twice a week for god knows how long, and the surgeon expects at least 80% > function back.


I've included a pic of the round. Snap-On tool boxes are quite literally bullet proof. The jacket separated from the slug when it hit the box; that's why the slug is flat on one side. If the mods permit, I'll post pics of my hand too.....it's pretty burly, and will drive the point home.


Thanks for listening. My wife thinks I'm crazy to post this, but it really does help me feel better. Remember....check the chamber twice, then check it again.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

That story gave me the creeps in the worst way!


I am incredibly careful around my firearms, but I imagine that most of us believe that we're careful, and something like this -- or worse -- can still happen.


I have to give the guy credit for having the guts to post his story and the photos...I wonder if I should print those photos of his hand and post them over my gun bench....


Sobering, definitely.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a TV to stupid gun handling, a 22 caliber Stinger, and the belief that my pistol was till unloaded. Actually I had reinserted the magazine. I shot ''My Pet Monster'' in the head although my neighbor wrote in the local newpapaer that I had shot Papa Smurf. The TV set was my anniversary present to my wife and she required me to purchase a NEW pictured tube for around $250 if memory serves me correctly. She was astounded by the whole incident because as she reminded me ''you are always so safe''. Yeah, right.


After an incident like that you'd think I would have learned, but no....well sorta. Sixteen years later two friends and I were at the range packing up to leave. I had restored my carry gun a, Glock 21, to my belly band holster. I was telling my friend's son-in-law about the after-market trigger blocking safety I carry in my Glock. ''Here I'll show you, but let me unload it first. '' It was getting dark so I went to my truck and turned on the dome light in my old F-150. I held the Glock inside pointed down at an angle at the seat. My friends were standing to either side fully watching me. I withdrew the old style Glock magazine and then pulled the slide back. We all saw the Hydra-Shok eject in the dim dome lighted interior. I even felt the shell come out. I dropped the slide, removed the push-in trigger block safety and pulled the trigger. Shot a hole through my seat, my floorboard and hit the tailpiece on my transmission. My friends jumped back surprised. Then the one on the left of me said ''what happened. I saw the shell eject.''


To this day I cannot say how it happened, but I am convinced of the addage ''only believe half of what you see'', or should I say ''what you think you see''. Looking back I would have been better served to have returned to the firing line with my weapon holstered and proceeded to unload it there. It is an unsupervised range and we were the only ones there. I found the lead core and jacket on the ground under the truck.


I cannot be too safety concious. Two mishaps that fortunately did not end in tragedy have taught me this. I was a gunners mate in the Navy with small arms training, have passed hunter safety courses twice and scored 100% on the test. It should not have taken two mishaps for me to get the message. The worst part is if I believe that I am now truly safe something else is likely to happen. For me safety will have to be a constant work in progress with me always doubting and wondering.....''what if''..........Mike

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this