Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Good Hunting Rifle

Josh

Anyone know of a good place to find a No4mk1or2 enfield that has already been sporterized? I don't really want to cut up an original, but I'd love to fix up a crude sporter job. So far this is what I want to do:

Take off the old chopped up stock.

Remove the sights.

Add a synthetic stock

Add a nice super sturdy "no gunsmithing" mount

Maybe modify the mag to have a flush look with the stock.

And of course, add a good scope to it like a nikkon or leupold.

BTW, I just wanted to thank you all for creating such a nice forum.

I think the best thing about the No 4s are the issue flip-up adjustable apeture sight. Not all of them have it, but they're cheap from Sarco and a 5 min install. With one of these you have an adequate hunting rifle with no further mods.

I think the M38 MN is also a good candidate for an as-issued capable deer rifle.

If you really want to scope it, are you sure that you wouldn't rather have a Mauser? SOG still has Turks for $55 perfect for guilt-free sporterization.

No flies on the SMLE, but you're probably going to have to lurk at the local gun and pawn shops to find what you're looking for, and you're going to pay more than you would for a Mauser right now. You also can't beat the Mauser as a hunting rifle action.

I have a No4 mk2 already, and I love its sights. Mausers are good canidates for sporterizing, but I have 2 (m48 mitchell's, and a Brazillian M954 in .30-06) and wouldn't think of touching them.

My main reason for wanting the No4 as a sporter/hunting rifle, is its quick bolt action, plus they're pretty accurate. I've checked all of the shops today and none have any enfields. Christmas is thinning the supply..lol

Josh,

Welcome to the site!

I agree with your choice as I love my No. 4 and wouldn't take for it. However, as DT said, you're probably going to have to keep looking in pawn shops, gun stores, and gun shows to find one already sporterized. I found mine at a local pawn shop for $80.... The deals are out there, you just have to be persistent. One thing you might do right now is drop off some business cards at your local haunts and tell them what you're looking for and ask them to call you if something like what you might want comes in. Two the of the local shops I deal with do that all the time.

Another thought to consider is although Christmas is thinning the supply, it will reinvigerate itself once the bills come due and its time to pay off Christmas. It's been my experience that you can find all kinds of stuff in pawn shops in January as many people go in way over there heads this time of year and end up pawning off their pickup rifle to help defray bills. Their loss can be your gain, if you're ready with money and looking hard enough.

One other outlets to consider are the online firearms auction sites. Watch them long enough and you'll be surprised at what you'll find.

Good luck with your search. I think your project is doable and that you'll be successfull as soon as you find your rifle. Persistence is key here - keep at it.

Jason

SOG has jungle carbines with sporter stocks already on them. I didn't think the price was too out of line. They also have stock jungle carbines for about $225 or so.

I have a jungle carbine that I use for my "walkin' around and brush gun". It is light weight and easy to handle. I like the removeable clip as well.

I like my Tweede for open field shots with the scope.

At gunshows and pawn shops you will find sporterized No4s.

If there are two:

1) with magzine $75

2) without magazine $35

Finding the magazine will be $35 in time, money, and trouble.

Buy the one with the magazine.

Springfield sporters had sporterized No 4s when they went out of biz.

The are in biz again now, but Century got the rifles.

I have not seen the sproterized ones show up on the Century site.