Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Which Scope Mount?

Josh

I have bought a couple of mounts and have returned them, the worst one for me was the one from Cabellas. Anyway the guys on a couple of other forums recomended an S&K mount for my Savage. The price was a bit high but the mount has been on for couple of years and I am happy with it. No it has not come loose or givin me any problems in that time.

The Savage was not altered in anyway installing this mount, remove rear sights, install S&K mount using blue locktite, install scope and go shooting.

The photo is not mine, my camera skills are not ready for posting a photo of my own. dry.gif

user posted image

• 1 month later...

Dave,

The Aussies are probably the most prolific SMLE modifiers around. What are you guys doing to your rifles to accurize them and add scopes and stuff? I've also read a fair amount about you guys making some semi-standard wildcats for these rifles like the 25-303 and others.

You ever tinker with these rifles much or were you too busy working with them to work on them?

Jason

Dave,

The Aussies are probably the most prolific SMLE modifiers around. What are you guys doing to your rifles to accurize them and add scopes and stuff? I've also read a fair amount about you guys making some semi-standard wildcats for these rifles like the 25-303 and others.

You ever tinker with these rifles much or were you too busy working with them to work on them?

Jason

Jason I personally have made tinkering,converting,sporterizing on the odd occassion off loading real clunkers to new chums ! They have been the basis for nearly all of my working rifles ! Moden calibers came & went but at one stage there were about 30 Enfeilds in my safe at one time . The two most popular wildcats were the 270-303 & the 25-303 . There was a time when several home grown companies stocked factory ammo & brass for nearly all of the 303 convertions from .22-303 (5 types that I know of ) 243-303,25-303& 270-303 .Of course these companies went by way of the DO-DO ! But a local company Simplex (God love em ) still stock dies ,including Forming dies for em ! There has been a resurgance of intrest in the last couple of years for the 25-303.

I still own & use the first Mk1 (1902) I ever bought as a Water Buff Rifle in the late 60's (the Old girl is on her 8th barrel ) The Old PH's tool kit comprised of a Hacksaw blade,Triangular File ,Car inner tube (for bedding ) & a stick of brase as when you cut em back (the stock ) they shot about 6" high so you soldied som brase on the fore sight & filed it down until she shot where you wanted it ! It must be remembered we shot (& still do hundreds of miles from any gunsmith ) Mounts ? There was a Aussie company "Field" that produced several different types of mount but failing that ! I have once wittnessed a set of mounts that had been Arc welded to the reciver of a Smelly !

Ammo was normaly Milsup ranging from 215gn RN to 174 gn solids (which were dum-dumed by cutting a small piece off the nose with side cutters ! God help you if you cut too much off )I suppose apart from the appeal of a cheap tool ,these rifles have proven them selves time & time again & everybody has a story to tell about sporterizing ,reloading & the leasons learnt

Dave

I tended to pefer the S&K mount, when I was in my scoping period, the advantage is that theS&K mount allows you to adjust the rings for gross windage. This saves the windage adj on the scope for finetuning the sight picture.

Karl