Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Enfield in 45-70

MauserILike

Was wondering if anyone has done this converstion and how it turned out if you have? This would make one heck of a combination. I beleave the round could be loaded to full strength and would make one hard hitting combo. I has seen some commerical rifles in this caliber from Gibbs. Not sure the if they are building brand new lee-enfield actions or they are using military actions.. but this seems like a possible converstion that would make for a good rifle. MIL

Well, I was hoping someone with more info and/or experience would respond but since they haven't so far I'll throw in my limited knowledge on this subject.

First off, YES Navy Arms or Gibbs Rifle Co. - as this division is called - is making these from mil-surps. While the action is strong and well made it is certainly capable of 45-70 performance exceeding "Trapdoor ballistics" by a considerable margin. I read an article on them about a year ago that gave a good report. SMLE's are still available at reasonable prices but take a lot more work to make a sleek-looking sporter than say a Mauser. I've toyed with the idea myself but really hope to get a usable P-14 or 1917 donor to build a true big-bore sporting rifle someday. Now there's a platform for a reliable dangerous game cartridge!

Shot one of the Gibbs's 45-70's. Kicked like a mother, but that could have been my buddie's handloads. I will admit it was pretty dang accurate. He also had an Enfield converted to 12-ga bolt shotgun, but we had left his shells behind so I didn't get a chance to shoot that one.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I was hoping someone with more info and/or experience would respond but since they haven't so far I'll throw in my limited knowledge on this subject.

First off, YES Navy Arms or Gibbs Rifle Co. - as this division is called - is making these from mil-surps.  While the action is strong and well made it is certainly capable of 45-70 performance exceeding "Trapdoor ballistics" by a considerable margin.  I read an article on them about a year ago that gave a good report.  SMLE's are still available at reasonable prices but take a lot more work to make a sleek-looking sporter than say a Mauser.  I've toyed with the idea myself but really hope to get a usable P-14 or 1917 donor to build a true big-bore sporting rifle someday.  Now there's a platform for a reliable dangerous game cartridge!

8447[/snapback]

I once fell heir to a Pat14 that had been converted to .458 win! It was supprisingly accurate ! The thing was Pressure wise I never really wanted to test the friendship unsure.gif I was Shooting Water Buffalo for the pet meat industryat the time & had no problems moving it on to another PH I'm still kicking myself after nearly 25 yrs

Dave