Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Who used the P-H Bull barrels?

Brithunter

I have used two P-H bull Barrels. One was put on a VZ-24 action the other on a M-48 action. The rifle with the VZ-24 action still needs some tuning but the rifle with the M-48 action shoots like a champ. The most recent hand loads in the M-48 rifle produced just under a 1/2 minute group at 100 yds. The barrels have a 1 in 14 twist and I've found when I exceed 150 gr slug the group starts to spread. Since I built these rifles as a Tactical / Brenchest style I'm very pleased with their performce.

Guest Mauserfever

I put one on a VZ24 one year ago, have not shot it yet.

I put one on a Tokarev pistol, and it shoots accurately, but is a pain to feed [i think the barrel is too heavy]

Clark, I know this sort of pistol is not too practical but I love this sort of toy. Not everyones cup of tea, I know, but I think you did a great job.

Hi fmsniper,

Hmmm thought it may have been you but was not certain unsure.gif

I built around 9 of them all with great success

9047[/snapback]

Was there any problems? I seem to recall some one mentioning that the bore was tight and that the pilot of the reamer had to be reduced huh.gif You see I have one and was going to put it onto an old singel shot Martini action but it will have to be re-chambered for the 30-30 cartridge and I am wondering if it will be straight forward or not. I have never done any chambering before so I want to get the skinny on any likely problems before I start. smile.gif

Kevin,keep us informed on how the Martini works out.That's something I've wanted since I was a young whipper snapper.I don't think I've seen but one in all my years of gunshows.Jerry

I seem to recall some one mentioning that the bore was tight and that the pilot of the reamer had to be reduced

The bore tends to run on the tight side and standard pilots tend to not fit.

The reamer sharing co-op has a PH-tailored reamer.

I took mine out to shoot today. It shot okay, though I could only do about 50 yds. I was shooting off the hood of my car, so it wasn't real pretty. It was trying to shoot though. Several groups were decent.

However, my biggest problem was that the loads were too hot. I loaded 44.5 gr IMR 4895 behind a Hornady 150 gr SST bullet. All the pimers were verrrry flat. So, back to the drawing board, er. reloading bench. I guess the tight bore caused the pressures to go up. I will try again in a few days.

Hi fmsniper,

Hmmm thought it may have been you but was not certain unsure.gif

Was there any problems? I seem to recall some one mentioning that the bore was tight and that the pilot of the reamer had to be reduced huh.gif You see I have one and was going to put it onto an old singel shot Martini action but it will have to be re-chambered for the 30-30 cartridge and I am wondering if it will be straight forward or not. I have never done any chambering before so I want to get the skinny on any likely problems before I start. smile.gif

9048[/snapback]

the bores are a little tight, I put one of my reamers in a lathe and used sand paper to bring it down some.

you will have re thread the barrel do to deepening of the chamber to fit the 30 30 shell. the PH barrels shoot 144 grn bullets very well that is what they were made for.

if you look at the 308 and 3030 there will need to be some cutting down on the barrel to get the 3030 to reach the lands and the sholder to fit correstly, getting rid of the 308 shoulder, but other than that you should be fine.

the bores are a little tight, I put one of my reamers in a lathe and used sand paper to bring it down some.

you will have re thread the barrel do to deepening of the chamber to fit the 30 30 shell. the PH barrels shoot 144 grn bullets very well that is what they were made for.

if you look at the 308 and 3030 there will need to be some cutting down on the barrel to get the 3030 to reach the lands and the sholder to fit correstly, getting rid of the 308 shoulder, but other than that you should  be fine.

9106[/snapback]

user posted image

if you look at the 308 and 3030 there will need to be some cutting down on the barrel to get the 3030 to reach the lands and the sholder to fit correstly, getting rid of the 308 shoulder, but other than that you should be fine.

Guest corelock

I left mine in .308. Got luckly no reamer needed. Set it in a black lam.stock glass bedded , and all the other work to make it shoot. I had a problem with bedding that is now fixed. I fell back to the load for my M1A. 165 Grain Siera and 39 grains of IMR 4895. In the M1A, this load shots .5 moa. In the P&H, my best group is 3 shots in 5/16 inch @ 100. THe First two went through the same hole! I broke my back last Oct. and have been shooting Skeet, so the P&H has been in the cabinet. However, I do feel the need for some trigger time!

Hi All,

Cheers for your help. The Martini should not be a problem as I intend to completely cut off the threads and rear of the chamber so when I re-chamber it should clean up the old one.

user posted image

9110[/snapback]

Now I have heard this about P-H before but it cannot be right as I have a Birmingham made p-H 1200 Super in 7.92mm made for an export oder form about 1996 and the entire bussiness was sold to Modular Industries who traded in the UK from Golden Hillock Road as "Bremner Arms" until they shut up shop and all the equipment and stock was sold off. The barrel making plant is still in the UK now owned by another firm who are making barrels with it.

Now Mr Horsefly,

Here is a genuine commercial Sporting carbine of Belgian make using the Martini action, it's a .303 British chambered one:-

user posted image

With an engraved action:-

user posted image

Hope you like it.

I used 6 of the barrels on Yugo M-48's with quite a bit of work on them. I found that they prefer Palma Match bullets. I still need optics for several of them.

WOW Kevin,is that your rifle? I didn't even know Martini's were made in a sporter version.I sure like that English style straight stock and .303 ought to be a dandy deer rifle.Someday,somehow,I gotta have one.Jerry

Right now I am working on two M48 with PH barrel. So for it looks great. but I still need triggers, safety, and stock for them. The only problem that I had was with the reamer which was alittle to big, but I put the reamer into the freezer for an hour and work like an charm. Just make sure that you set the chamber back alittle and get an new chamber.

spec.4

Guys I thought I would pass on to this forum since it is the first I ever joined and made friends with most here,

Sarco has 26 inch PH barrels back in, about 100 of Grade A and some more Grade B

Grade A $64.00, I just bought 2 and looking for money to get more...

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

SHHH do not let every one know or they will go fast