Military Firearm Restoration Corner

P-14 barrel removal

donmarkey

I've never worked on these before, but heard the barrels can be real tight. What is the proper way to remove the barrel without hurting the receiver. Will a releif cut help? Should I cast a custom vise bushing or grind flats on the barrel? This is for a mag conversion, so the barrel is being junked.

-Don

• 1 month later...

I've never worked on these before, but heard the barrels can be real tight. What is the proper way to remove the barrel without hurting the receiver. Will a releif cut help? Should I cast a custom vise bushing or grind flats on the barrel? This is for a mag conversion, so the barrel is being junked.

-Don

Guest ksteenrod@sbcglobal.net

-Don

My son and I cut a 1/2" steel plate to fit the outside breech end of the p14 receiver and welded about a 4' steel handle on that. This gives us about a 4' barrel wrench. We made a barrel vise out of about 1" X 2" X 4" steel blocks by drilling and taping !" holes in one block and drilling holes large enough for a 1" bolt to go through in the other. We used aluminum blocks with a hole bored through slightly smaller then the barrel diameter. We did this by clamping the blocks together so that the hole is half moon through both blocks. We soaked the barrels in penetrating oil and then clamped the blocks around the barrel in the vise using rosin to stop slippage. We haven't done any of this work for about 20 years but still have the equipment. We did Mausers and P14s with this equipment and never had a problem with damaging anything. The hardest part was shaping the hole for the receiver to the shape it needed to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Don I did 2 with relief cuts and they turned off by hand so there you have it They are tight to reciver when relived they come off easy normally. just get it lubed with some blaster and let it soak and you will have no problem.

Rod

Thanks, I finally got around to it. After the relief cut, it came off by hand. Now for the mill work on the rear bridge.

-Don