Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My New Lee Enfield in 30/40 Krag

303 Epps

No4 Mk1 Long Branch action, 28" Medium Palma Match .308" barrel

Well I finally got to take my project out for a test drive. At 100yds groups held at 2.5" with Winchester and Remington factory ammo. Trigger pull was the biggest problem with too much needed. An improved trigger should solve a lot of that problem.

Also saw a lot of copper fouling. Hopefully this will solve itself. I'm at 42rds of barrel break in.

Mate sounds like your on a winner there ! I'm sure with a match trigger & once that new barrel settles in those groups will probarly shrink a little (mind you their pretty darn good at the moment ) Are you going to reload or stay with factory ammo?

Dave

Dave

I'm going to start reloading as soon as barrel breakin is over. I'm going to try 190gr Match Bullets for my first attempt in this caliber. I want to see how close a group I can make with an Enfield action.

What do you think of Huber triggers? It's a trigger with a ball bearing made on to it. Some other outfit was advertising a new adjustable trigger assembly but I can't seem to find them on the web.

One other problem that has cropped up is my gunsmith didn't bevel the chamber opening where the feed ramp is. I've decided to ignore this since I'm going to use this rifle only for target shooting. When I get tired of single loading I'll bevel the chamber opening. One advantage about this is no dings or dents in the projectile as it goes into the chamber.

Dave

I'm going to start reloading as soon as barrel breakin is over. I'm going to try 190gr Match Bullets for my first attempt in this caliber. I want to see how close a group I can make with an Enfield action.

What do you think of Huber triggers? It's a trigger with a ball bearing made on to it. Some other outfit was advertising a new adjustable trigger assembly but I can't seem to find them on the web.

One other problem that has cropped up is my gunsmith didn't bevel the chamber opening where the feed ramp is. I've decided to ignore this since I'm going to use this rifle only for target shooting. When I get tired of single loading I'll bevel the chamber opening. One advantage about this is no dings or dents in the projectile as it goes into the chamber.

9755[/snapback]

Only heard good things about Huber triggers.It seems to be the best kept secret in the world of the Web on where to get them ! I've just found a new Gunsmith! I've yet to try him out ! I normally get my barrel work done by Sprinters

Dave

Looks like Huber it will be. I'm going to buy one when the funds come up a little. I want to shoot this rifle again. This time with some proper sandbags to steady up on. My first shoot I was using a truck hood and a rolled up pair of coveralls as my rest. I want to bench it now.

If you get a chance, list what loads are popular for Enfields in your neck of the woods. biggrin.gif

Hmmm I cannot understand why the std trigger cannot be worked on to give a nice clean break. After all it's been done to them since the introduction of the two stage trigger onto the Enfield. The Best group I have seen from an Enfield is posted in the armoury, booking in office at Bisley camp which was shot with Kynamco .303 ammo by Fred the armourer using a Mk1 Lee (Long Lee) group size is right on the 1". The rifle is fitted with a P-H target aperture sight but that is the only modification done. cool.gif

My own Enfield sporting rifle conversion has a really nice trigger which I have not touched. Any Enfield I get that the trigger has to high a pull on it I just lighten by polishing trigger humps, sear and cocking piece.

Might try that first. I think I should also put a little more trigger time in on this project. I've got a micro wire wheel for my Dremel. That should serve well on the polishing of the trigger and sear. After I get them polished I'll set down and send some rounds down range. I'd like to see how close a group that this rifle will make. wink.gif

Not sure on the dremmel idea, I just use a medium then fine oil stone when I do mine. To keep the sear contact surface flat I hold in the the vice and work the stone over the jaws having only a enough sticking up out of the vice to work on. We are only talking a minute amount here. The strokes want to be in the direction which the sear works.

Now the dremmel with a polishing wheel would smooth up the lumps on the trigger though, and the cocking piece can sometimes be reduced carefully in height depending on the amount of sear engagement. Oh remember with the No4 unless it's a Mk2 the inletting of the trigger guard can vary the amount of the depth of the sear engagement and the length of trigger pull. A No4T I picked up which had been re-stocked had an awful pull, the first stage was gone and it turned out to be the inletting of the fore stock. blink.gif

Brithunter I worked over the trigger and sear with my dremmel wire wheel. I wanted to polish everything first before I take your method next. I feel a differance already when I dry fire it. But the real test will be the range. Thanks for the advice. I will keep you guys posted on the progress of this rifle. smile.gif

Glad to be of some little help.

Oh when you next vist the gun shop see if they have any S&W Friction Block. It's a small bollte of fluid which needs sjhaking up beofre use and then turn white. On the shelp it's white at the bottom and a clearish fluid at the top. Apply a drop to the cocking picece mating surface and then work the trigger wiht the bolt closed, not so it fires but just so it rubs the stuff in. It really helps the smoothness of the trigger and one application lasts for ages. The one little bottle will last you for some years. Not sure if it's stil available but I hope it is, it has teflon in it in suspension I seem to recall.

Kevin,I'll try to find some of the Friction Block your talking about.That's good advise.Reckon why powdered graphite wouldn't work if I can't find the other?Locksmiths use it to keep tumblers working smooth and it won't hold dirt and grit like oil or grease will.The last I got was at Wally World,and came in a little bitty tube like tooth paste and was in the automotive section.Jerry

Looks like Huber it will be. I'm going to buy one when the funds come up a little. I want to shoot this rifle again. This time with some proper sandbags to steady up on. My first shoot I was using a truck hood and a rolled up pair of coveralls as my rest. I want to bench it now.

If you get a chance, list what loads are popular for Enfields in your neck of the woods. :D

My personal faverite loads for the .303Brit are 150gn 36gns of H4895

174/180gn 34gns of H4895 or 43gns of H414/H4350

215gn 40gns of H414/H4350

These are starting loads & are sutible for Mk3 actions . There is a formular for reduced loads from Hodgdon ,but it escapes me at the presant time !

Dave

• 2 months later...