Military Firearm Restoration Corner

5 round mag

Horsefly

Does anyone have instuctions for cutting an Enfield mag.off flush,making a 5 round mag,and looking like a mauser style action,flush with the bottom of the action?Many years ago I read an article or book that said to saw the mag off,cut off the bottom from the cut-off piece,and grind it down to weld back for the new bottom,but I don't remember if or what was done to the follower spring.Someone even sold 5 shot mags for a while.It may have been in the Ralf Walker book,which I loaned a dude years ago and has died since,so I'll never see it again.Jerry

Does anyone have instuctions for cutting an Enfield mag.off flush,making a 5 round mag,and looking like a mauser style action,flush with the bottom of the action?Many years ago I read an article or book that said to saw the mag off,cut off the bottom from the cut-off piece,and grind it down to weld back for the new bottom,but I don't remember if or what was done to the follower spring.Someone even sold 5 shot mags for a while.It may have been in the Ralf Walker book,which I loaned a dude years ago and has died since,so I'll never see it again.Jerry

I've got a copy I can send you from Macfarland's book Intro to Modern Gunsmithing. (thanks Jason) But basically all you do is scribe a line 1/4" all from the bottom, transfering the shoulders too, and cut and line to the line.

-Don

Jerry,

Are you working on a Lee-Enfield or a P-14/M1917 Enfield?

If you're working on the P-14/M1917, use the method that Don suggested. And if you can't get a copy of the info from him, I'd be happy to copy it out of my book for you.

Or if you're asking about a L-E, about all I know to do is cut the magazine off as short as you want it and braze/weld the bottom back onto the new shortened magazine. I want to say MacFarland in his book and de Haas/van Zwoll in their book talk about doing this.

And courtesy of mr1 here's a nice pictoral.

One of these days I'm going to scoot up to your neck of the woods and talk guns in person mano; sooner or later.

Have a large day,

Jason

No Jason,I'm not working on an Enfield yet,but sure have a hackering too.I've got one that my brother won in a poker game in Alaska back in 1971 that was sportered,and has started all the young men in our family deer hunting,passed from kid to kid,and I've had it back for a while now.I've always liked that old gun and would like to dress up another in a prettier dress.I'm leaving the other alone just because my brother gave it to me.Your welcome to come to my place anytime your up here,would be glad to have you.Maybe I'll be in our new old house by then.Heck,I may slip off down to Nac one of these days.Almost did about a month ago.My brother-in-law went to visit his son there,and I almost went with him.Off to work!Jerry