Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Black Powder Catridge Silouhette:

Next Saturday and Sunday, the Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club will host the Commonwealth Games, a state level olympic style competition for the average citizen. It will be my honour to direct the N.R.A. style black powder catridge matches, this consists of using any breech loading single shot rifle chambered originally for black powder catridge calibres, such as the Sharps, Ballard, Winchester High Wall and several other brands of target/hunting rifles popular during the latter half of the 19th century. The course of fire consists of ten animals on stands at four different distances, (chickens at two hundred metres, pigs at three hundred metres, turkeys at 483 Yards (?) and rams at five hundred metres.) The shooter fires at all the animals from the rest position using "crossed sticks" except the chickens, which are shot off hand. This sport has been shown on the Outdoor channel several times, the silouhette sport is one of the few that anyone, regardless of sex, age or health restrictions can be competitive, one of the best shooters in our club is near eighty and he almost always wins his class, (classes are determined by average targets downed over a three match period and are in no way exclusive otherwise) I love to watch as some 90 pound Grandmother touches off a big ol'Sharps .40-70 and see a 40 pound steel ram topple at over a quarter mile away........this sport allows the use of rifles that for many years sat in corners and in collections gathering dust because it was Great Grand-Paws buffalo gun, folks are discovering that Great Grand-Paw could shoot! When you consider how few modern produced rifle/scope hunting rifles being taken afield today could compete with these old black powder rifles with just iron sights. If you have the chance to attend a match of this type in your area...check it out! spectators can tell just how well a shooter is doing at the same time as the shooter does. This is a somewhat expensive sport for beginners as the rifles used in the sport are not cheap, expect to pay a thousand dollars and up for a quality rifle, and the other gear such as spotting scope and reloading equipment can easily exceed another thousand, but once the equipment is gathered the sport it's self is cheap, bullets, powder and primers are priced in the same range as smokeless supplies, so, if you would like to see what Great Grand Paw used to kill off a million or more buffalo in a twenty year period, stop by and see.

Ty,I wish I could go to that shoot! My buddy at work decided he would get into silouhette shooting,and went out and bought a Pedersoli Winchester Highwall 45.70 with a 32'' barrel.The gun was the easy part.We can't find any shoots here in Texas,so far.I decided to wait and go to some shoots to see if it's what I really want to do before I bought a rifle.Your right,he gave a little over $1,000.00 for his gun,but man is it a beauty.It has a dandy walnut stock,and the wood to metal fit looks like a 20,000 buck gun.Jerry

Thanks for the info Ty.I went there and registered on the forum.Some dude from West Texas already had my Horsefly username,so now I'm heelfly over there.The next shoot here is in October at Mineral Wells at the old Fort Walthers helicoper base,about 1 hr. from here.October is a great time to be alive in Texas.Thanks very much compadre.This is something I've been looking for for a long time.Jerry