Military Firearm Restoration Corner

303 question for dave h

Horsefly

You've seen,been around,and had more .303's than any of us Yanks,so I'd like to know what you consider the very best,top shelf,Enfield.I've got a hankering for one and I'm bumfuzzled because of the so many flavors.I have a MK4 that had the stock cut down,and the barrel still has the machine marks on the outside,almost like a fine thread and is really a nice touch even knowing it had to be a cost and time saving thing.I've even thought of doing that on a true hunting gun.Corelite camo stock,dark OD Park on the machine marked barrel,and a camo scope.I like the looks of the jungle carbines,and matters not if it's a fake or real,as long as I didn't pay for a real one's price.Jerry

Jerry, don't know what Dave is going to tell you and I sure aint a expert on em' as I've only owned one in my life(kind of got the red ass for anything to do with the Britts) but I would call my very limited experience with them JUNGLE LOVE !!!Picked up a original jungle carbine last fall ,probably the only real bargin I've ever got on a gun at a gunshow.It aint a show piece and I figured as fuzzy as the bore was it would never shoot but it really puts them in there,nice and short and light,just handles the best is nice to pack and easy to get poked out a truck window.It's won a place in my heart for that fact as I've put the bodad on several dogs and coyotes that were runnin' my cows with it.It is my truck gun now. Jim

It's a funny thing .I never took a likeing to the #4s (but that's a personal thing ) #1 MkIII's have gone through my ownership at a alarming rate ! The Jungle carbine. In both forms (don't worry the first form you will probarly see as it was a modified #1mkIII made in Lithgow ) The Normal form of Mk5 is a good solid unit ! The only thing I have ever said is the first thing you do is change the butt plate & get rid of that stupid Recoil pad ! (a piece of rubber adout 1x3 ) As when shooting heavy loads with a thin shirt on you really feel that you've fired something ! I reckon it was designed , by the Marquies de Sade on a really bad day ! I'm also very attached to Pat14s

Dave