Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Does It Take

fritz

"Somebody get that fire agoing, somebody beat the drums. Step back, non-believers, or the rain will never come. And if you think I'm lying (?) looky yonder, here comes the rain!"

Well, I beat the drums (55 gallon), but since the county fathers have enacted a burn ban I cannot get that fire agoing. Maybe it is those non-believers, because the rain never comes.

What does it take?

Is there someone who I can bribe that can help me? Is there someone who will march with me (you pick the day, it don't have to be the same day the illegals march). Is there someone who will march with me for a cause, which is much more serious than the ones marches have been held for?

Will GW (or his puppet in Austin) guide me in the direction where the rain is? I really need the rain here, on my ranch (I am tired of seeing it on the Weather Channel) and I really don't want to have to pack up all the cows and move them to where the rain is falling.

Is there a rainmaker in the audience?

Hell, at this stage of the game (and that is what it is turning out to be) I'll even accept advise, as long as it is in my favor, from other boards.

That's how desparate I am.

Please don't tell me I'm a non-believer. At this point, I'll believe in anything. I guess that is what has kept me (and a lot of others) going.

fritz

fritz,I'm so sorry to be so helpless.Someone here in North Tejas has a system that works,because we got a pretty good rain yesterday and maybe more today.Hail beat my brothers pickup into the ground though.A big storm went down Red River and hailed on Gainesville and Lake Texoma.That's the second bad hail storm the lake has had this spring.Jerry

Still got snow in my yard.

Hey, that stuff melts and produces water! I remember how beautiful the grass was last spring, after the snowfall on Christmas Eve '04.

Tony, no rain at all again from the storms that passed through (around) on friday night. I was in Austin for my grandaughter's birthday, and they had just had another 1/2". No hail this time, but last week they had 3" of rain and golf ball size hail. I got quite a shock when I saw how green his lawn was.

Actually the area south of Austin, all the way to Cuero, got another rain. Things are greening up in the area just 20 miles north of me. But those 20 miles have become a barrier to all the fronts coming down.

It has to be all those non-believers around me.

fritz

It started raining on Friday and hasn't let up yet. We needed the rain too but it can go away for a while. Supposed to be dry tomorrow.

I haven't put my rain gauge out yet but we got enough to make puddles. Takes a bit to do that in this sand.

Fritz, my brother's stock tank barely has any water left. He is north of Luling. How he's going to water the cattle I'm not sure- well, he could use a garden hose from the well. Shoot, we're doing good on rain here in central TX.

The Nebraska farmers are going to give TX ranchers hay as a payback for kindness a few years ago.

Tony,

I go through that area every time I go to Austin, and the other day (even though they had had rain) the only ponds that were full were those that have a pump on them.

There has not been enough runoff water to do it, since the ground is so dry it is absorbing it all. And the high temps and low humidity and high winds are finishing it off. My ponds are awfully low, save for one where I am pumping. That pond, plus a water trough, is all that my herd has to go on.

Water is going to be a bigger problem than feed. Feed can be trucked in (and I heard of those Nebraska farmers doing that as a repay) but water is another thing.

When the well goes dry, we are all screwed.

fritz

Not to rub salt in your wounds but it had been to dry to even do a proper job of gettin' ground ready to plant here,it'd just turn up in big hard dry cumps until weekend before last we got an inch and a half so late last week I set in to gettin' ready to plant corn,got about 20 acres planted friday before I got rained out.We got just a hair over 3 inches over the weekend and not a drop ran off, it came right,took all weekend to get it .After 4 1/2 inches in a week the creeks still dont have any water in them other than just a hole here and there but things have sure greened up.We might get to make a little hay this year if it'll just keep on some, and what little corn I got planted is startin' up already,hell of a long ways from made but up and rain in the forcast every day of the week but tuesday. Jim