Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No 4 Mk 1

NCShooter

I picked up a sporterized No 4 MK1 yesterday at a gun show. It was really cheap but the metal

looked about 95%, and unaltered. Only the stock has been cut down. I bought it with restoring

in mind (this is my first one). I have found matching numbers on the barrel, receiver and bolt.

what else do I need to look for? I haven't pulled it down too far yet, mama doesn't know that

it followed me home. On the receiver it says NO 4 MK 1. On the strap it has "ENGLAND",

"1943" , the serial number and a stamp that looks like an airplane. I never really looked

before, but it also has a plastic butplate with a (can't think of what you call those little holes

back there).

Also, what are the lugs in front of the front sight protector? bayonette (sp?).

TIA for any info you can give.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike.

yes, the lugs are for the bayonet.

As for the wood, the best place as far as price is Aim, if they are sold out, try Springfield Sporters or the Gun parts corp. They are all on the net.

Be sure you tell the sales man you want wood for the No. 4 mk 1..the No. 4 mk ll has a different setup on the trigger.

karl