Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mosin Nagets, Magnum Strength?

tinkerfive

I was remembering that the strength of the Mosin Naget receiver had been lauded.

I was wondering if a different magazine could be attached what possibilities might

that open up?

I know the 54R is a short cartridge.

If you can get arround the magazine issue, would

a M&N action be a good possible candidate for the

new 'short' magnums?

Just kind of wondering out loud

Tinker

Personally I think the MN's make good rebar. However, the finns necked the cartridge up to 9.3mm and thus the 9.3x54R was born. Very much a rimmed version of the 9.3x62 or at least somewhere i between that and teh 9.3x57.

As for the short fat magnums, they are hard enough to get to feed in modern actions.

if ever a gun was designed for just one round i think it was a MN ...i have cut, ground and welded on a couple

off and on for a year trying to get some thing to feed in these things..i have to many other projects to spend

any more time on them....so all i can offer is good luck

I think the stock MN cartridge is underappreciated. Its got 30-06 ballistics in a well-designed, short, fat cartridge that everyone thinks is important for accuracy potential. Its a package that's hard to improve on.

Maybe a 6.5x54R wildcat would be something to think about. It seems like the Xx54R has been overlooked by the wildcatters. It seems like you could easily get 6.5x284 ballistics out of it, if not more. Damn, you got wheels turning, just when I thought they were under control, and I've got a beat-up, semi-accurate 91/30 with a hand drill counter bore that's tauting me from the shop corner...

What's the shank and thread specs on these things. Is there any extra machining around the chamber for the extractor, etc?

Dammit, tinker!

What's the shank and thread specs on these things. Is there any extra machining around the chamber for the extractor, etc?

Dammit, tinker!

Too bad the gif's aren't working.

I've got a big smile on my face

.98 X .937 16tpi Per Frank DeHass with a 180* extractor relief

Hmmm Now that I'm looking at the .98,

I guess that would take us right back around to the same

discussion as Turk magnums. Oh! Well!!

Let us know how the 6.5 X54R turns out.

He-He-Heeee!

Tinker

Although they are likely in the collector catagory now, the MN built by Westinghouse chambered in 30/06 opens up some real possibilitys. Unfortunately I turned one down offered to me to settle a $40 debt in the late 70's. Like a real dumshootski I took a CB radio instead.

I've read posts on other forums of WSM conversions, but I think these were single shots. Single line feeding is the most reliable method. Remington's M710 has a mag similar to a double stack pistol mag in that the double stack feeds into single stack and is held there by feed lips in the mag. Each round is lined up w/the bore. Perhaps a Rem mag could be fitted to a synthetic MN stock? I suspect the problem area would be the feed interupter function and the fact that the MN right bolt lug passes over/thru the mag opening. It would be interesting to fiddle with.

Although they are likely in the collector catagory now, the MN built by Westinghouse chambered in 30/06 opens up some real possibilitys. Unfortunately I turned one down offered to me to settle a $40 debt in the late 70's. Like a real dumshootski I took a CB radio instead.

As it turns out you weren't so dum!

Here is the story as best I recall...

In the 1950's someone tried to market M&N's to the U.S. market.

I guess you couldn't get 7.62 X54R or 30.06 was so much more "popular"

That they reworked the action to feed 30.06 and reamed out the 7.62X54 chamber

for the 30.06 sending a .308 bullett down a .311 barrel, not so accurate.

WELL!!!!!........

If it weren't bad enough that it weren't so accurate.....

In metric terms 30.06 has a 63mm case.

63 - 54 = 9

9+ what ever they must have set back for the rim was enough

that occasionally the barrels burst.

Bottom line 30.06 converted M&N's are dangerous.

at least with the original barrel.

Now if you got one that was reworked to feed 30.06 and

rebarreled with a proper .308 barrel, I guess that it would

be fine.