Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Moon Is Right

fritz

Oh forget about that romantic stuff, the moon is right for rain now (it's always right for romance).

A fellow at the club believes in the moon's phases as a way to predict the weather. I always ask him (sometimes in jest) when is the moon right next? He told me that for the next 5 days the moon is right for rain.

It all pretains to the old belief that if the moon (in a quarter moon phase) tilts downwards so as to not being able to hold a bucket of water, it will rain.

Well, the moon is right! Just before it went behind a cloud, I saw the tilt. I just know that rain is on the way. I put enough faith in that to order more fertilizer for tomorrow morning. I just hope that they get here with the fertilizer before the clouds open up and dump six inches of rain on the field and make it saturated.

Well, a fellow has to believe in something. And the moon is as good as any.

I can smell it now.

fritz

Man I hope your right fritz.It's scary dry up here in Del Norte Tejas.We have a chance for rain Wed.,but that was last Wed. when I heard that prediction.That leaves plenty of time for a miss.The ground is so cracked you have to be careful where you step,'cause your foot will actually go down in one.This blackland sure cracks bad.The foundation repair companies are making out like oil companies.I've got me one kickass garden,but have to water every Sunday and Wed.There's a little creek that crosses our ranchette,and it is still running,and did all of last year,unbelieveable it can find the water to do so.Jerry

Well, they were here at 9 o'clock this morning and fertilized 40 acres for me. That should be good for about 150 round bales in a few weeks, since we already had .7" this morning with chances ranging up to 80% for the next 5 days.

That tropical disturbance did indeed come in here instead of going to Florida, but Florida had their rain also, the shuttle launch was stopped because of thunderstorms. Sometimes I get lucky and get a rain on the fertilizer, last time I fertilized it took 2 months to get a drop. The first cutting was pretty slim.

But as the Mex say, "There's always manyana".

The moon was not right the first time.

fritz

Damned moon---where is the rain?

Tonight it is in its first quarter, but it still can't grip that bucket of water. So it still may rain. We missed it today, but the weather forcasts are full of flood watches, etc. Where is it at?

I know, west of San Antonio, where it don't usually rain much. Lucky bastards! I hope they put out fertilizer (if they got anything to fertilize).

Moon, do not fail me. The time grows short.

You gotta believe.

fritz

Jerry,

You gotta have received some good rains since we talked last. It seems that the great north was just a little behind the moon on this one. Surely the moon has rewarded you with some of that precipitation.

As for me, it has rained just about every day since last Saturday, first 1.5" right after the fertilizer truck left the field, then about .2 to .5" every day. Just right--no flooding, just grass growin' rain.

Moon, no longer will I mistrust you!

fritz

Rain ?????????????????????????? we're a third of the way through winter & I've had to Google up Rain to see what it looks like ! Lots of Frost but no rain

Dave

fritz,we did get a shower last Thursday,but that's all.My Dad finally gave up and sold his cows except for one momma cow and four calves.He's always said that when he don't eat so the cows can,they're history.I didn't really think he meant it.He put the money away and will buy new stock and start over if it ever rains again.Dave,maybe you can send us some roos and camels since this aint cattle country anymore.Jerry

Dave, when is your rainy season (the monsoon)? Or is that a different part of the land down under?

Jerry, what you said about selling the cows happened here in mass number. Many ranchers sold out completely. I held out as long as I could (because I still had hay left, not because I was that optimistic). It finally did rain, and the country here looks entirely different than a month ago.

Some are actually complaining that it needs to stop raining so they can cut some hay. I think they will get their wish, because when it stops it may not rain again until fall.

Yeah, it's hard to please everyone! But they really just say that in jest, nobody wants to go back to that dry span of over 6 months. Maybe we now have a split climate, dry half of the year, wet the other half.

Nahhh. This is still Texas. It's mostly hot and dry with an occasional flood.

fritz