Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sporter Trigger Safety For Mosin

Bob Hatfield

It looks like on my Mossynaggin sporter that I could fashion a safety somewhat like an SKS,which would just block the trigger.........Plenty of meat at the rear of the Trigger guard for drilling or welding.................Do you know of anyone who has rigged a homemade trigger block safety that a person could just flip up .....................Thanks............Bob

• 9 months later...
It looks like on my Mossynaggin sporter that I could fashion a safety somewhat like an SKS,which would just block the trigger.........Plenty of meat at the rear of the Trigger guard for drilling or welding.................Do you know of anyone who has rigged a homemade trigger block safety that a person could just flip up .....................Thanks............Bob

You mean like this?

Larry Gibson

post-2159-1178567195_thumb.jpg

post-2159-1178567276_thumb.jpg

post-2159-1178567300_thumb.jpg

That arrangement shown is a trigger block,not a true safety.A true safety will very slightly relieve the pressure on the cocked action so that there is no pressure on the trigger.There is always a chance that the rifle could fire using a trigger block.

The Mosin safety is a true action pressure reliever but in some cases many people find them difficult to use.This has been solved by Jim R(The boltman) who adds a ring onto the back of the cocking piece kind of like a K-31.I have one of these and it is hard to believe how easy it makes the Mosin safety to use.

Stan

That arrangement shown is a trigger block,not a true safety.A true safety will very slightly relieve the pressure on the cocked action so that there is no pressure on the trigger.There is always a chance that the rifle could fire using a trigger block.

Stan

I guess there are a ton of Remington Models 721, 722, 700, 788, 7s and XP100s that don't have "true" safeties. Then what about all the Mausers with commercial triggers and the CZs, Weatherbies, Rugers, Marlins, Savages, etc. ad nauseum. Trigger block safties must be pretty unsafe, eh?

Larry Gibson

Very nice! Is that held in place via spring retention? Or or you doing something with a ball detent?

It is held by spring tension as it is in the SKS. There is U shape wire spring that is sandwiched between the trigger guard and a washer next to the stock. The safet has cam surfaces so it is held quite solidly and reliably in on and off position.

Larry Gibson

• 7 months later...

I like you safety Larry, hell if it don't work I would call that darwinism........................

I might have to do one on my m44

100_2913.jpg

there is always a chance any gun can go off if a round is chambered..........................................