Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Buehler Low-swing Safety

RifleMan

Anybody have any experience using one of the Buehler (sp?) Low-Swing Safeties (especially those made by Timney)? I just ordered one for my scout project (based on a Yugo M48). I didn't want to go with a side-safety trigger, but then I understand that the Buehler low swing either locks the bolt or not (no intermediate, safe-with-bolt-move, position). I think I'd rather have a positive firing pin safety than a trigger safety, even if it means sacrificing the intermediate position.

Anyway, it's the first small step I'm going to take in getting pieces together to convert this puppy into a nice .308 scout rifle. If they're more trouble than they're worth, I can return it and buy a side-safety instead (either a Model 70 style or a trigger safety). I just hate the ergonomics of the standard Mauser safety.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences. Thanks!

-Nathan

I have on a Yugo I put together a few years ago and have not had the first bit of trouble with it. I put a Timney Sportsman on the same rifle and get good use out of both of them.

They are a very popular mod and relatively trouble free. Once you become aquainted with this safety, you may find that there are less expensive models available that will all work the same, but I'd say you're off to a good start.

The middle position is somewhat overrated IMHO. You'll find that the flipping this one down may be moderately faster than a 3 position Winchester style.

Guest Guest_slseacrist_*

I have instaled a few of these safeties. I have been very happy with them. Personal think their are better then many on the other types on the market. I like them because they are easy to install and do not require any modification to the bolt shorud. Good luck with your biuld. SS

I've never used a Buehler/Timney safety, but I don't think they lock the bolt. I have a Dayton Traister, and functionally I believe they are virtually identical to the Buehler model in that they cam the cocking piece back off the sear, but don't engage the slot in the bolt body that locks the bolt. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but Rifleman is looking for a safety that blocks the firing pin, (cocking piece) while allowing the bolt to be cycled. I think the Buehler will work.

I have rifles with both the Buehler and the Timney safeties. The Buehler locks the bolt while the Timney engages the intermediate position. The only problem I've had with the Buhler is the little hex screw came loose once. Otherwise both safeties have functioned flawlessly.

Sounds good to me. Yeah, I'd prefer to be able to run the bolt in both OFF and ON safe. But the big deal for me is that the safety appears to flip on the right side of the action - where it's best for a righty (me being a righty and all, this is a good thing). For a scout type rifle, I don't care too awful much about clearing a scope, but more about being able to disengage the safety without breaking my firing grip too badly. With the original Mauser safety, man, it's a hand-twister to try to flip it off in a hurry.

Anyway, the Timney Buehler-style safety comes in Monday. I'll probably take a look at how it works, and maybe be able to try it out life fire next weekend.

Thanks again, as usual!

-Nathan

But.. Bein' a righty I prefer the safety on the left side... as that is where my thumb is.. Isn't personal preference a wonderful thing? BTW I like the idea of grinding the notch so as not to lock the bolt. Thanks to oldies dad!! MV

• 2 weeks later...

So the darned safety finally came in, and I honestly can't figure out how to install it. The instructions are pretty vague - "insert the spring into the hole in the shaft... insert the shaft into the bolt shroud... reassemble safety... turn screw in securely." The spring is too big to fit into the screw hole and I don't know what they're talking about "shaft" for, unless they mean the shaft where the safety inserts into the bolt shroud.

I'm gonna play with this a bit more, but anyone else done this before? Could you draw a simplistic picture of what the parts are, or at least give a good description of what they might mean?

This is the Timney version, by the way.

Thanks,

Nathan

Edited: Nevermind, I figured it out. Must have been tired. Works fine!