Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cungle Jarbine:

TYRVR

At the loal Pawn Shop there is a "jungle carbine" it appears to have been re-worked....the wood is new, it is a Longbranch MkIV....I was under the delusion that all jungle carbines were MkV is this just a mock-up made from leftovers? or....should I purchase for around a "C" note.....

It is a cut down mk4 that has been "junglized".

I have read that the Aussies made them but that some were make by the importers here.

The purists hate them.

It has been reported that the Mk IV does not have the " wandering zero" problem the origional Jungle Carbines were said to suffer from.

If the bore is in good shape, I think it is worth a c note.

Karl

There's been a lot of No.4Mk1's reworked into No.5's by several importers lately. I've read several reports stating that the wandering zero was a bogus story put out by a high up in the British military to make it ease to go with a semi auto in 7.62mm Nato to get with the mandated program just after WWII? Instead of trying to convert so many No4's to the Nato 7.62mm, which doesn't work well, by the way. I've shot several and never experienced the wandering zero in any. You can verify that it is an origianl by taking it out of the stock and checking for the lightening cuts made on the receivering? I currently own one of the fakes and to my surprise, it shoots very well. of course, the main problem with the jungle carbines is the recoil they generate compared to the full rifles? Hard but not unmanagable.

It wouldn't happen to have the words Santa Fe on it would it? If so buy it. If it doesn't have those words on the barrel then don't.

Santa Fe did a lot of sporterizing of Enfields back in the late 50's and early to mid 60's. Some quite nice ones too. One of the things they liked to do was to make the Jungle Carbine look. They did it with both the No4MkI's and the No1MkIII's.

Both are becoming collector pieces in their own rights these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
should I purchase for around a "C" note.....

1269[/snapback]

During the breif period I had an FFL I ordered two. I can't recall the distributer but everything was on the up and up. They were fully described as being altered and the rubber buttplate was a repo item. Best I recall they were priced close to, two hundred and arrived in near mint condition. I can't recall if $200 was my cost or the sale price including freight I charged. If in good shape well worth a C-note. Incidently if you're a hard core collector, be prepared to pay a bunch for an original bayonet and sheath.

• 1 month later...