Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Firing Pin Spring.

CSANSO

Was wondering, I have heard alot about changing the firing pin spring in all types of rifles from factory to the mil-sups. I was wondering how much improvment can be expected from a change from the original spring to a newer after-market one. Also how does this improve accuracy? Is it a more consistant tension on the bolt and pin? Is is a more consistant hit on the primer? Was thinking about changing my sporterized 8mm and my Savage 30/06 firing pin springs. Is this worth the money? MS8mm

Changing out the springs doesn't hurt.

In my experience it only helps accuracy a little bit. That means that it will make a good rifle a little better, but won't turn a 3 minute gun into a sub MOA tack driver. A stronger spring reduces lock time, the time it takes from trigger break to primer ignition, therefore the less time the rifle has to "wander" off target.

The downside of replacing a spring on a Mauser is that it makes bolt manipulation harder. A savage action (10,110,16,116) already have a faster lock time than the vaunted Rem700 action, so I wouldn't bother changing the spring.

Jimro

Some of the older Mausers have had their firing pin spring weaken over 80 years and won't consistently fire some, (Turkish) mil sup ammo.

When the ammo was cheap, 70 rounds for 5 bucks, it was worth getting new springs.

Now, unless you are having problems or building a target rifle, I would not bother.

Karl

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

And I agree with Karl and AZ. I've used all different weight after market springs on 98s. So far as I can tell, all it did was make cocking the the bolt slower and more unpleasant. I saw no accuracy gains.

Now another suggestion is try the David Tubbs lightweight firing pin and geewhiz (means I can't remember what it's called) fp spring, same as std weight but springier, or something. It does make a difference in lock time and doesn't make cycling the bolt uncomfortable. Or you can just buy the spring if all else is well but you have a tired mil spring. Both the whole kit or just the spring only are available at Brownells, Sinclair, or from Tubbs directly.

Brad

Unless something new has come down the line in the last 20 years the Rem 788 used to have the fastest lock of any factory rifle out. And I used to think like the rest if it isn't broke don't fix it, but two years ago I had more than one miss fire with factory ammo and on the second or third try some would go off. Now the next time you make an order from Brownells, or midway put a Wolf 30 pound spring for your 98 on your order and tell me it's not worth the 8 and change, or 5 and change dealer price. Even on a hunting rifle you will notice a big difference. I missed several deer that year because of it.

lemski, was the misfire on the 788 or a 98?

I was wondering if it was on a 98, if just buying a std 17 lb Wolff replacement wouldn'd have have solved the problem. Didn't you find the bolt lift quite a bit more effort with the 30 lb spring?

Brad