Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Help With Inletting

NCShooter

I have heard of people using Cold Cream and adding some black substances ( carbon or lamp black). You maybe able to use just cold cream in your case. I have also heard of people using mayonnaise. I have never used any of these, but have heard of them being used successfully. SS

If memory serves, there is a product out there called inletting gold. It's brother is inletting black. Can't remember who makes it but it should be sold by Brownell's and probably sold by Midway.

Darkest stock material I've used to date is American Walnut and the black works well.

LC

It might be possible to use just plain Vasoline. The objective is to leave an observable mark where the metal touches the stock, oil based products will leave a shiney spot which is quite easy to see. Powdered Graphite is readily available and would leave a shiney spot without the problem of absorbtion and degredation of the synthetic material which might occure with oil based products.

A handy tip? I use the cellophane packaging material from cigarette packs to make fairly accurate indicators of stock rub when inletting, especially the receiver rings and the barrel. This material is stiff enough to withstand the pressure of insertion, yet flexible enough to follow curves quite closely. After seating the barreled action somewhat loosely in the stock, I insert a strip of cellophane and it will stop when it hits a stock surface which may be just a little lower than the rub spot. This is a good indicator of where the next rub will occure.

Experiment with seating pressure, marking a pencil mark on the top edge of the stock where the shim stops. Turns out to be a very sensitive tool which may highlight spots already blackened but determined to be a proper fit, or, an indication of side play as a barreled action is twisted, pushed, and lifted while in the stock. It will detect high spots better that your eyes, especially on areas buried beneath the top edge of the stock. Bill