Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pistol Sights

karlunity

Fellas.

I have decided to put adjustable sights on my Remington 58.

Boy..I can never go back to Bill's site after this : )

First, I am gonna get a laser sight for a pistol and hook that on.

If that does not please me, I am going to install a regular iron sight.

I have some files and have been practicing cutting groves in plastic.

Karl...not a purist.

I know ...I know..they sell a Remington 58 WITH adjustable sights and I SHOULD have gotten it, but I wanted to 'EXPERIENCE" shooting the original Civil war gun.

This is Cali after all : )

Karl

Karl,, maybe try varying the load first. Are you using grease to seal the chamber or a veggie wad? Small changes like this or charge weight can affect point of impact. Something to try before adding adj sights.

Also, if I remember right, wasn;t the revolver shooting four inches to the left or right? The front sight sticks up enough that you can gently bend it to correct for this.

if I were to install adj sight I would opt for a dovetailed front to correct for windage. That wouldn't dramtically change the lines of the gun.

Just a thought or two.

Thanks z1r.

It shoots to the left.

Are you using grease to seal the chamber or a veggie wad? Small changes like this or charge weight can affect point of impact. Something to try before adding adj sights.

Also, if I remember right, wasn;t the revolver shooting four inches to the left or right? The front sight sticks up enough that you can gently bend it to correct for this.

Hum. ..I had not considered those points.

I was using greased pads from Cabala's.

But now that you mention it..I did seem to have better results with Crisco.

That bit about the front sight is brilliant.

It NEVER would have occurred to me to BEND A SIGHT!!! : )

I Will give your suggestions a try and report back.

Thank you

Karl

Glad to help. remember, if it shoots left bend the sight left. Slowly, a little at a time.

My '51 navies love the ox-yoke greased pads. Both of them shoot spot on but I suspect it was simply because I was luckier than heck. I love the pair though. I'd planned on shooting them in the traditional catagory in SASS. But life intervened, lol.

Good luck.

karl...I do a lot of rework on the Remington/Whitneys style revolters.....what Z said is right....but may I suggest a less nerve wracking way to adjust that front sight? when you bend those sights.....they LOVE to pop that little dob of solder in a hole that holds the sight in place....I regulate the sights by "Tweaking", this process consists of removing the cylinder and loading apparatus from the gun, then lock the frame in a padded vise with the barrel free and clear.....you can then use two open end or two spanner (adjustable) wrenches to loosen or tighten the barrel in the frame as needed. CAUTION! it does NOT take much rotation in the barrel to move the point of impact a goodly distance...so do not let your Go-rilla instincts carry you away......I usually twist the barrel about the thickness of a piece of typing paper to start......you would be wise to place a piece of white tape around the barrel at the frame and then make a mark on frame and barrel as an indicator....you can then judge how far you have moved and judging by the movement in point of impact.....guesstimate how far you will have to go......OR you can mill a dovetail across the front of the barrel and install a windage adjustable sight as were the originals.

Good Luck and burn mo powder!