Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Decisions

trobi

trying to decide what manufacture of barrel to get. i was thinking of going with either a loather walter,shilen or douglas. i have more selection with shilen, i believe. whats everyone prefer? i had thought of a A/B barrel. i have one on a 10/22 that built into a 50yd , 10rd, 0ne hole shooter but going to 100+ shooting i think i will want /need better quality. any suggestions

kingsman OPERA NON VERBA

Realistically, I don't think you can go wrong with any you mentioned. I have barrels by all and they all seem to be equally good shooters. I like Douglas because at Brownells they are cheapest. But, they require more work to get the exterior finsih smooth. Shilen is pretty smooth and in general the contours seem to be lighter than a Douglas. That can sometimes be important. LW has excellent finish interior and exterior.

I like the LW if I want a prethreaded long chambered barrel. The price is incredible if what they offer suits you needs. Their blanks are pricer than the other two. I have 4 LW barrels waiting to be mated to receivers, Two 9.3x62's, an 8x68S, and a 6.5x55. I really like LW for those oddball calibers becuase they can't be beat for the $$ and shoot like a house a fire. My next will be a 9.3x57 threaded for a small ring 98 (mexican).

If it is a caliber I have the reamer for then I switch between Douglas & Shilen depending on weight and balance.

Like I say, in my opinion, you can't go wrong with any, and they all have their strong points.

What caliber & profile are you thinking of?

was thinking about o 284 but don't know about that one. will the bolt face have to opened up and i don't know what the oal is

kingsman

I have a 284 win and it seems a good choice, and no the bolt face is just fine! May have feeding issues, but no more so than a 308, that I have noticed.. Course even a blind robin finds a worm sometimes!! Lucky for me! MV

Kingsman,

You might want to try your bolt with some American made brass before you go through the hassle of opening the bolt up. I feed my 6.5x55 Winchester brass and it works just fine with the original boltface.

-Jason

Brownells doesn't sell douglass barrels anymore.

What's up with that? They've cut way back on the Shilen inventory as well. I was thinking of ordering a short chambered Shilen in 338-06 or 35 Whelen, and they only have the Whelen in one contour and twist. Seems like the selection is drying up.

Does LW sell short chambered barrels?

From what I understand, LW is of the (justifiable) opinion that they can chamber thier barrels better than anyone else - so they prefer to long chamber them.

Regarding 6.5 x 55 cases, I've used both US and Lapua cases interchangably with M98 bolts (Turk, K98, M48 and 24/47) and haven't had case head tolerance issues. I have had tolerance issue with a 1891 Mauser with both US and Lapua cases.

My two bucks for inflation.

Mike,

Talk to Woody at LW. It is my understanding that they can outfit you with just about any configuration you desire. I'm sure that tweaking the chambering program to stop the reamer .020" short of where it normally stops wouldn't be much trouble - or expense.

-Jason