Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Parker Hale Barrels

trobi

Well I got the 3fer deal from them, and I had em all put on Mauser receivers. With handloads, each of these 3 guns will hit 1 inch dots at 100 yds. while giving groups of about the size of a dime. Now, I am a shakey shooter, and I dont have the best technique I am sure, but I would have to say, they are fine barrels! ;)

I was lucky enough to have one of the barrels fit a Vz24 receiver first time I spun it on. I did'nt think that gun would shoot well because I put it together, but it does shoot as well as the others.

Cheers!

I have 3 of these stored-away for a rainy day...

Tight bores. Look in the Reamer Co-Op; there are .308 reamers that are listed as working with these barrels. Trying to force a standard reamer might give "wobble" at the base and lead to an oversize chamber.

The interesting thing about the barrels is the 1-15 twist. Excellent for lighter .308 bullets (110 to 150gr). I'd love to hear from someone who used these with the 110gr spire points. Normally I consider the .308Win overkill on prarie dogs, but with a mild load and a 110gr bullet? Might be the ticket to some neat splatter. Recoil could be mild.

The barrels originally had open sights, so you have two screw-holes down at the end of the barrel. I'd cut and re-crown to clear-up the screw holes, but to each his own.

I've put nearly 5000 rounds of 155 grain Palma bullets through mine and It's beginning to show signs of burn-out. I shoot a pretty hot load so I expected this but if you can find a good yet mild load you should get 8000+ rounds through it. I'm getting ready to buy a new one as a replacement for my old tried-and-true. By the way, mine shot 168s well out to 600 yards too.

I use mine with 165 grain lead flatnoses. Very accurate. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably shorten the barrel to 20" maybe 22". For the cast bullet silhouette I use it for velocity isn;t that important.

They have bores that are tighter than standard bores. So, if you need to ream the chamber, you may need to be careful with it.

sailormilan, you left me a message in reference to having an extra barrel. i would be interested.

how much and do i need to get crowned?

you can e-mail me at trobi501@juno.com

thanks

The bores are .2985" instead of .3000", or .0015" tight for a solid pilot reamer.

I pounded a pin gauge in and pounded it out with a cleaning rod.

I was a real pain, but it worked.

If you are going to rechamber, you might consider a floating pilot, and get a .298" pilot bushing.